When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My PAM1B, over a year in the making finally done right!

w0lf

Well, I believe the crystal is 3.5mm center and just a hair under 3mm at the edge.. It's a known problem with JF cases, if you don't have the original gasket (which I obviously don't :black_eye: )and sometimes even with the original gasket, you get this problem fitting any standard rep or gen sapphire crystal. I believe the original JF crystal & JF gasket is needed for a perfect fit.

Hmmmm... I am not entirely sure where my sapphire crystal originated, but it was a press in fit with decent height in my Jimmy case:

IMG_6109.jpg

If I recall correct, it was 2.9mm at the edge... So, it is very possible that the gasket is the key element...

:g:

Ubi,

Hmmm, interesting :) it must be the original JF gasket then. I think I'll talk to JMB and find out if he can make one of these from scratch. I'm just not ready to take this baby off my wrist again yet. :pardon:

Ahhhh... That could be! It's the one W sent me when he gave me the case, and it was accompanied by a complete set of gaskets and Jimmy mineral.

I wonder if Offshore can source the correct size gasket if measurements can be provided?

:g:

Wow, this is pretty excellent guys! Mr.Meister you did make my day :thumbsupsmileyanim::clapping: I don't know how to thank you enough :)

After talking to you this morning the fact that we got 3 weeks of rain in 1 night, floods everywhere in the NW burbs and my 2.5 hour commute to work didn't matter... When I finally got to work and jumped in a meeting everyone was looking at me weird until i realized i had my idiot grin on for like an hour. I think my new manager thinks i'm mentally challenged now.

Thanks Mir! :drinks:

W, I'm already a happy man. I know I'm not the only one who feels that this watch thing is all about connecting with like minded people. And I am blessed to have made so many friends and learned so much from the best. The hunt and the anticipation just spices the whole thing up, it's like you're looking forward to a Channukah, Christmas and New Years BUT all year round - there's always something to look forward to. Whether a watch, a part, someone's project, an awesome post or a new friend :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Sometimes it gets to me, the setbacks, the wait, lost or defective parts and I become a bit frustrated but only for a short time as ultimately that's what makes it special and worthwhile. When you get a finished piece it's over, there's nothing more to want...That's why I will never be quite as happy with a gen of the same watch :brow:

In any case I learned that my next project - an FGD dialed, old cased PreA PAM40B should be on the way to me shortly. I'm telling you folks, this is shaping up to be a nice summer despite the miserable weather so far 8)

man that is stellar!! I love the level of work and perfection... can you comment on the crystal height?? I can't tell from the pics how much above the bezel the crystal extends...

Hey - sorry for joining the party late on this topic - but what is the right crystal height supposed to be with this watch? Is it supposed to protrude just above the bezel?

I am one of those who could sure use the right gasket. I have always wondered if a genuine gasket would work - since Jimmy repped a genuine case.

Also - been searching for the best non-jimmy case for one of these (which the right low cutout between the lugs, etc. Anyone got any suggestions?

As far as I know the crystal on gen is supposed to protrude a little above the edge of the bezel. Not quite as much as on PreVs but visibly so. I don't think the gen gasket will solve the problem. I thought I had a gen gasket but now I'm starting to have qualms about this whole crystal thing. I used to have a DSN crystal on this JF case, though I had to have it glued in due to no original JF gasket, the DSN crystal used to protrude above the bezel a little just like on genuine. I opted for the gen crystal when I saw one for sale on the board, but I will have to double check everything and make sure that this is in fact the right thickness crystal. I was told it came from 112G that had a problem with A/R flaking so it was subsequently stripped of any remaining A/R. However I know that 112G has a 3.5mm crystal for sure. The only non-cyclops gen crystals that are thinner, 2.5mm to be exact, come on chronograph PAMs and I really think there's a slim chance this came on a chrono watch and the seller didn't know about it.

Here are some gen pictures I've collected and sent over to The Zigmeister to recreate the look:

post-11419-127394561179_thumb.jpg post-11419-127394561328_thumb.jpg post-11419-127394561463_thumb.jpg

post-11419-127394561679_thumb.jpg post-11419-127394561806_thumb.jpg post-11419-127394561955_thumb.jpg

post-11419-127394562108_thumb.jpg post-11419-127394562265_thumb.jpg post-11419-127394562884_thumb.jpg

post-11419-127394563021_thumb.jpg post-11419-12739456312_thumb.jpg post-11419-127394563321_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Allright, this one's officially finished now :) Speedy fixed the crystal for me so I added a few pics in the 1st post to show off the crystal and a few extra tidbits while I was at it.

Great result M,

so it appears the original xtal either had an incorrect gasket, or Speedy didn't push the xtal press all the way down into the gasket this time around...either way, it looks :victory:

• 3 weeks later...