When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

DSSD HEV Isn't correct

panerai153

I wrote a review a week or so ago about the newest 2010 model DSSD from Eurotimez. What I didn't realize at the time was the HEV works opposite from the way the genuine works. the genuine opens with pressure from inside, thus water pressure outside will create a tighter seal, the Rep HEV on the other hand opens with pressure from the outside. This particular model doesn't have a particularly strong spring either, so it takes very little pressure to open the HEV. This is a recipe for disaster. i would imagine that washing your hands and having your watch under a hard stream of water could cause a flood. certainly diving into a pool,etc, would be dangerous.

I would recommend to anyone with this model or other spring loaded HEV models, check to see if your HEV will depress from the outside, if it does, you need to seal the inside of the HEV with epoxy to insure the water resistance of your watch. The best course of action would be to seal the HEV and pressure test as well before getting the watch wet. I'm sure most all of the older members here who are Rolex owners are aware of the replica HEV problems, but I would hate to see a Noob ruin a 400 dolllar watch because he thought the HEV operated like the genuine

All the DSSDs up to the current models have this problem. See gioarmani's tips and reviews from over a year ago, now, on this issue.

I do not know if the cartel "ultimate" units have a proper valve. Don't believe stuff you read on the Internet ;) Check it yourself if you own one until there's a reliable "tutorial" post here referencing "fixed" HEVs on current DSSD models.

All the DSSDs up to the current models have this problem.

I do not know if the cartel "ultimate" units have a proper valve. Don't believe stuff you read on the Internet ;)

Latest cartel version does have a correct orientation of the valve. It's also very similar to the original in terms of construction, biggest difference being o-ring placement and related water(non)resistance. However, properly greased and seated should provide more than enough water resistance for normal use. I have no means to test actual figures, but it will hold up far better than reversed solution prefered by so many of the rep makers. Attached is the cross section image of the original DSSD hev.

Dean

post-351-127330070784_thumb.jpg

Edited by straight_six

Indipendent of the directon of the valve i would seal it once and forever with epoxy to be sure that no water is coming in.

I just followed the instructions of gio, it´s realy easy.

Edited by drolson

I agree with drolson. no one here is going to be saturation diving with a Rolex Rep, so the HEV is totally superfluous. Sealed up it will never be a problem, left open whether correct orientation of the valve or not it is a potential source of water ingress. Salt water inside, it's a paperweight! Why take the risk?

I agree with drolson. no one here is going to be saturation diving with a Rolex Rep, so the HEV is totally superfluous. Sealed up it will never be a problem, left open whether correct orientation of the valve or not it is a potential source of water ingress. Salt water inside, it's a paperweight! Why take the risk?

:) How about buying the real thing and doing some real diving ;)

PS: prices have come down quite a bit lately, here's one for a little over 8 grand.

looks like fun... know any trenches nearby where we could test one out? :D