When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Question About Red Submariners

Goochenbrau

It's worthless. They utterly lost their value last week. He may as well throw it in the nearest garbage bin. It's junk.

But since I'm such a nice guy, I guess I'll take it off his hands and save him the trip to the garbage dump.

In fact if you tell me where he lives, I'll fly there, tonight, and pick it up in person.

:Jumpy:

No dude - from Alaska?

Why don't I go pick it up for you/

Bill

The red submariners can be tough to value. So many of them have had newer white dials put in during servicing then later painted over in red. If it has the original matte red dial and hands, with a serial number that matches the style of printing (IE open 6's in depth rating till '71 etc) then they can be worth $5 - $8k US depending on condition, box and papers etc.

A good site to check authenticity is doubleredseadweller.com in the red sub sections. Post some pics if you can.

Value is a very difficult thing to determine. Is the watch complete? Is it all original? Does it have service records? There are lots of factors to take in when trying to determine worth. And unfortunately, the 1680 is one of the few Red letters out there that for some reason, hasn't caught on like it's other counterparts have.

$5k - $6k US is the average going rate for a 1680 Red in good, near or all original condition with the accessories. Any more than that, and it's got to be pristine, NOS, or part of a famous collection (e.g. Eric Claptoin's 1680 which sold for $9k, and Mondani's Red 1680 that sold for $29k included buyer's fees).

If your friend purchased his watch new, at 1970's prices, then he's got a watch that has given him 30 years of service with a nice return on it :)

Collectors will accept replacement parts as far as servicing the movement is concerned (gen parts w/ a RSC service invoice are best), but especially like original dial, bezel insert, silver datewheel, crown and case tube (early case tubes did not have the outside o-ring), and correct bracelet and end pieces. With all of that and a good provenance (like "I bought this watch 30 years ago and I'm the original owner") and like ubi says you're over the $5K mark and going up.

Here's a photo of my 1970 Red Sub. Rolex AD's keep replacing the hands at each service, thankfully I've still got the original ones. I had to fight them for it though, which I thought was wierd considering I owned them. The watch has a long history, purchased by my father brand new in 1974 and given to me as a 21st present. It had sat in draw for about 15 years before then. I was six when he bought it and can still remember going with him to buy it. Still have the original box, receipt, brochure etc.

118399-22147.jpg

Check out the rust stains around the 7 and 8 markers. The last service was $1000 AUD and they can't be arsed cleaning it, got to love Rolex AD's.