When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex Oysterquartz Datejust

redwatch

Hi folks,

A co-worker of mine knows I am really into watches and has seen my tool collection grow and grow over the past year. He brought in a Two Tone Oysterquartz Datejust for me to replace the battery on. I told him he should probably have it serviced if it hasn't been before. He said he didn't want to worry about that right now and could I just replace the battery. I am going to pick up a replacement battery tomorrow, but in the meantime he is going to let me hang onto the watch for the night. :D

I am going to be taking pictures later on of this beauty. If anyone here has any requests of what they would like to see, regular or macro, please let me know :D (I am referring to you jmb)

Upon first inspection, it appears to date from 1980. It has a serial number of 6463533. It has 17013 on each end-link which I believe is the model number. It is surprisingly heavy! Solid midlinks, and incredible looking quartz engine.

I will post pics a little later on this evening.

Ok....I'll see what I can come up with tomorrow morning. I will set up my copy stand so I can shoot straight down. I may have to see what I can do to prevent camera reflections in the crystal. I'll play with it and see what I can get :D

First off, let me say I am not a fan of the OQ...but I will say the OQ is Ok as long as it does not need parts.

(I have owned 3 OQ -- 2 tt, 1 ss)

I do not like throwing a wet towel on the OQ but there is also a dark side to them.

A friend worked in a rolex AD for 25 years and he had quite a few horror stories about them.

Another friend worked on rolex watches and he would not even touch one because he was afraid it would quit while in his posession.

He had a sign on the window that said "no rolex quartz repair".

I will list a few pluses and a few minuses:

Plus:

They keep good time.

Solid gold center links in tt models.

Same date parts as 3035.

Same crystal, bezel etc as 16200.

Regular 6.0mm crown and tube.

Minus:

One speck of static electricity can zap the circuit board when changing batt etc. This can happen to any qtz watch but rolex OQ parts are $$!

Regular repair guys will not touch them with 10 foot tweezers.

The only place in the world for electro movement parts is rolex or a reseller with a rolex parts account.

Step motor or circuit board will cost $300 to $1000 each depending on the source (straight from rolex or through a reseller).

Used bracelet links etc are extremely hard to find.

How much did I pay for them?

TT OQ in 1998...$500. Looked good on the outside...rotten on the inside. I should have looked in it because the case and caseback were rotten with corrosion.

Steel OQ in 1999...$100. It had a new 5513 caseback on it (??). Today, the caseback would be worth about as much as the rest of it.

TT OQ in 2008...traded a used 14k gold Concord quartz no date dress watch on a strap and a new Citizen Eco-Drive Stiletto for it (total of about $500). The OQ was in 90%+ condition.

How much are they worth?

Imho, as little as possible.

If you buy one DOA, look for $1000 or more for repair if you send it to a rolex repair depot.

I feel that if they are cheap enough and you do not mind the gamble...they are Ok. I came out ahead 3 times but had to sell the one with the rotten case for just a little more than I paid with a warning not to get it wet.

Thankfully, none of them went DOA on me.

How about a replica steel OQ with a common quartz movement? That would be all right.

Does anyone sell them?