When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pics of a my 1680

bruce79

The clasp is indeed a mystery. The last time it was touched by a Rolex AD was '94 so I don't know what to think. I'm buying another bracelet anyhow so it doesn't matter. Just met up with my watchmaker today. Uncased the movement real quick and I was able to get a look at that matte dial, beautiful!!!! Going back on Wednesday to take detailed pics of the movement while it's apart. :)

That's a beautiful old sub with lots and lots of character. If it were mine, i would do the bare minimum to it. When you said "in for service", are you sending it to a RSC or to a Rolex certified watchmaker with parts access? If RSC, I would be very specific about what you want done and what you DON"T want done.You wouldn't want to get it back with a service dial, hands and polished out to the max!

BTW the nice fellow in Hammond LA was probably Anton's Jewelers. Walter Anton was a Rolex dealer and had a pretty good watchmaker working for him back in the 1980's and 90's. I bought a used sub from him in the 80's. Great fellow to deal with.

Not sending it into RSC, I've got a local CW21 watchmaker with a parts account. And he is allowing me to document the whole process. I'm going in there Wednesday. I said I didn't want him to take out any dings or dents (not that there are many) and that I just want him to buff out the surface scratches. The crown looks like it was replaced during the service in the 80s. My watchmaker said the crown/tube that are on there now are still good and just need new gaskets. I asked about sourcing an original 702 crown and he said he may have an old one in his parts pin but he's sure he doesn't have a tube for it. And I'm replacing the crystal as the one that is on it isn't original either. He's got an OEM Rolex crystal of course. I'm going to see about a top hat but he might only have the beveled crystal. I'll put some pics up when it's done.