When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Trial And Error; Dw 6265

ubiquitous

My first DW (and after this Monday will be my ONLY DW) 6265. One of my favorites, and after a year of ownership, finally made reliable.

A little history on why this watch is one of my most loved. The path to 'reliable' was with many pitfalls and road blocks. I've spent more on this watch than I care to admit, though that's mostly to myself for my own sanity :blink:

This watch started life with the highly sensitive and often trouble prone DW Mystery Movement. It worked perfect for about 2 months or so, and then started showing problems with winding- Every turn of the crown would result in grinding gears that sounded more like grinding gravel. So... Off it went to RG for a full overhaul. Sadly however, a servicing would not repair the problem- Gears were worn away, and you can't put metal back; so, the watch was returned to me, grinding still. In the meantime, I searched for a new movement, but alas there was one big problem: DW had gone missing at this point. So, sourcing from him was not an option. Thankfully, a fellow member came to my rescue with a spare movement he had. Off to Ziggy it went again; this time, a combination of parts from 3 different movements were used to produce one good one. The watch found it's way back home to me again, and was used very seldomly for fear of further problems surfacing. Then, one fateful day I went to wind up my DW to wear for the day... And alas- Grinding gears had plagued me again. Watch went back in the box, and sadly another was chosen for that day. I was certain this watch was cursed :)

Fast forward 4 months, and an opportunity came up to purchase a Swiss Valjoux 23 for a very reasonable price. I purchased the watch for the movement, and took delivery of it shortly after. Off everything went once again to Ziggy (by now I am sure he's tired of seeing this watch); movement serviced, and everything came back, working perfect. By this time, the hands came, and much to my dismay, they didn't fit exactly as hoped. Ended up bending a few, and had to order another set. And, yet again... Everything back up to Rob. Hands are a mix and match of V23 hands, original DW hands, and V72 hands. A few had to be broached to fit, as amongst the mix, they were still the wrong size. But, for once... The watch was done. With a reliable movement, completely servicable, and with parts still available. Needless to say, I feel much more confident about my beloved DW.

Still with me?

Okay... Onto the list of ingredients...

-DW 6265

-Genuine Tropic 21

-Genuine Crown

-Genuine Tube

-Genuine Swiss Valjoux 23

-Mix and Match of Hands

-Genuine Springbars

And finally... The pics :lol:

119001-22001.jpg

119001-22002.jpg

119001-22003.jpg

119001-22004.jpg

119001-22005.jpg

119001-22006.jpg

119001-22007.jpg

Old vs. New movement

119001-22008.jpg

119001-22009.jpg

119001-22010.jpg

119001-22011.jpg

In Ziggy's atelier:

119001-22012.jpg

119001-22013.jpg

After 20 hours in the ultrasonic. Looking much better!

119001-22014.jpg

And finally back in my hands on Friday. Needless to say... One very happy Ubi here...

119001-22015.jpg

119001-22016.jpg

^_^

A HUGE thanks to the master, Ziggy!

Thanks for looking.

Best,

R