When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PT 1680's - "Best" vs. Other Versions?

pr0digy30

I was looking at some of the vintage 1680's offered by PT and noticed they offer a "BEST (Prototype)" edition that is sold out and then a few other 1680's, to which my untrained eye look virtually identical.

AFAIK the "BEST" is also the same price as the others ($198).

Can anybody tell me what difference there is (if any) between these?

Terms are pretty meaningless. Just examine the specs and pictures, and compare as needed to gen's, or other high end versions here on the forum. There was a PT prototype 1665 that was released about 6 months ago as well, and lets just say-- best is not how many would describe it. These prototypes are however are a step in the right direction as they do tend to mimic the original construction of the gen in terms of bezel, crystal, retaining rings, etc -vs- one piece case with glued inaccurate crystals. They can provide a cheap base for mods. Also, 1:1 is usually more like 0.95:0.95.

I am waiting for them to begin using Apple marketing terms next: Magical, Wonderful, Best way to tell time, Revolutionary.... laugh.gifbicycle.gif

The red versions of the vintage Rolex are mostly recognized and appreciated just by the Rolex enthusiasts. And they always go under very careful scrutiny, even when they're installed into genuine cases.

Those reps would never survive from ANY kind of close scrutiny. They're so inaccurate, it's almost funny.

Just forget the red dial versions. If you tried to pass those as a gen to any Rolex WIS, they would laugh at you. They're that bad. Maybe not as bad as the old MBW versions (otb) but bad nevertheless. I just don't see the point of those red dial rep versions.

If you want a good vintage Sub/Dweller rep, buy a white one & prepare to mod it heavily and spend a lot of money on it. That's the sad state of affairs.

Just my 2c.

Guest al12

I think 1680 from PT is a good value watch. Trim the CG, genuine crown, new retention ring, new clark crystal, vintagized the insert and you are good to go.

I agree with By-Tor. The white one is the version which comes the closest.

Find an old MBW case and start spending the money.

Crown Tube insert crystal slow beat movement gen end links or even better gen bracelet etc.

You will end up with a rep which will cost you more then a 1000 euro's but it's fun.

Carpe Diem

Cats

1680 is just a tough one to do in general, mostly because the cases available are more 5513 influenced. The rehaut opening for the 5513 case is smaller; hence, if you try and build a 1680 out of certain cases, the immediate tell is that there just isn't enough dial showing (easy to tell with the min chapter).