When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Purchasing a Gen

craigrhyne

Alright guys, I'm about to pull the trigger on what will soon be my only watch. I've previously owned several reps; a Panerai 177, Breitling 6.75, and a TT blue face Sub (not all @once, but they've come and gone over the course of the last couple years). As of right now I'm watchless, but aching to pool my funds and purchase a single (Gen) watch that will be appropriate both at the office, and when worn casually. My main concerns are build quality, visual appeal, reliability, longevity, and value retention. I have no qualms about (and will likely) purchase used. Watches I'm considering:

1. Breguet Marine Big Date; White face/blue hands, 39mm

2. Zenith Chronomaster XT Moon Phase; White face, 43mm

3. Breguet XXI; black face

4. Rolex Daytona; no specific color preference as of yet

5. PAM 072

6. IWC Big Pilot

I really enjoy the way each of these watches looks, however, Ive always been drawn to the more classic look of the Breguet and this particular Zenith. Does anyone have input on my purchase from the above mentioned standpoints? If it helps paint a picture of my personality: I'm 21, 6' 5" w/a large wrist, an engineering undergad soon-to-be law student, and I drive an E28 M5 (that I personally restored) by choice.

Thanks,

Craig

Buy the Voutilainen instead :drinks:

DSC_0070.jpg

DSC_0055.jpg

Voutilainen ‘OBSERVATOIRE’ Wristwatch

re-worked Peseux 260 movement designed for Observatory trials

Ooooooops I am not able to find it for sale or even a price..now this has to be repped :drinks:

hi craig,

i'm not super familiar with the different breguet models, but personally i would choose a breguet over a zenith. if you're looking for a watch that will hold its value and stand the test of time, a 16520 complete with box and papers is a solid choice (it also happens to be powered by a zenith movement). i'd say for your age, a big pilot or pam would probably be more "age appropriate", but that is pretty subjective -- i say wear what you like. so in summary, i don't can't go wrong with any of the above -- just depends on what criteria are more important to you.

good luck with your choice; be sure to come back to this thread and post your final decision and some pics when you get the watch! :victory:

deltatahoe

Breguets are very rich in history! Come on, Breguet invented the Tourbillion, which is still one of the most sought after complications in the history of watches. They have more history and innovation than any of the other brands you are considering. Plain and simple Louis Breguet was a watch genius. They tend to be more classy and dressier pieces then being able to pass with a business suit or jeans & t-shirt. They retain their value or increase. The big issue is, their customer service down right sucks! Not to mention a 39mm time piece is a little on the small side for someone as tall as you

Nice watches to choose from but it sounds like you're very undecided.

Why not shortlist the watches down to three, use the money to buy the replica versions of them, try them all for a month, then pick the one you like the best, sell the reps buy the gen.

This way you will make the best informed choice. Sometimes buying a gen can leave you disappointed if it doesn't have the appeal you thought it would.

Right now they are the "it" watch and command almost double their cost for used then when they were new. Panerai keeps their production umbers low to keep their prices artificially inflated I feel.

not sure what models you're talking about -- aside from a couple rare or highly sought after pieces, the majority of pams depreciate out of the box just like any other brand. i will say though, i've been surprised at how well used pams maintain their value (i had a genuine pam 112 for 1.5 years and sold it for basically what i paid for it).

deltatahoe

Hi Craig,

Interesting list of watches. The first three are all very classical looking timepieces - given your physical characteristics I think the breguet marine might disappear on your wrist..... :g: If I had the choice I would probably go with the Breguet XXL or the Rollie Daytona....

not sure what models you're talking about -- aside from a couple rare or highly sought after pieces, the majority of pams depreciate out of the box just like any other brand. i will say though, i've been surprised at how well used pams maintain their value (i had a genuine pam 112 for 1.5 years and sold it for basically what i paid for it).

deltatahoe

The Pam's I have looked at (Anthracite Dials) were almost double their value new. The latest one was a 089. My dealer found me one...almost $9100!!! :shock: Damn thing was only $4500 6 years ago brand new! The other was a Pam 086 that my dealer bought for himself since I did not want it...$6600! I was told they were only about $3500 new almost 10 years ago! The used resale value and a lot of high end watches tend to plateau out. Used Panerais have done well.

The Pam's I have looked at (Anthracite Dials) were almost double their value new. The latest one was a 089. My dealer found me one...almost $9100!!! :shock: Damn thing was only $4500 6 years ago brand new! The other was a Pam 086 that my dealer bought for himself since I did not want it...$6600! I was told they were only about $3500 new almost 10 years ago! The used resale value and a lot of high end watches tend to plateau out. Used Panerais have done well.

i hate to say it, but your AD is pulling one over on you with his prices. click here and here for both those watches for $5k or less on paneristi.

deltatahoe

i hate to say it, but your AD is pulling one over on you with his prices. click here and here for both those watches for $5k or less on paneristi.

deltatahoe

Not may AD, as they do not deal in PAM's. This is a watch dealer that I deal with and he shows me exactly what the sellers are asking for them. Even the ones you posted here more then their original price. Regardless, thanks for the tip. Never seen that site before as I try not to by watches online for obvious reasons...Looks like I found my 089. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Wow, 13 replies! I really appreciate all of the input! I went buy Deboulle, Bachendorfs, and several different Tourneaus in the Dallas area, and tried on all of the above mentioned watches excluding the Zenith and the PAM (couldn't find them). Unfortunately, trying all of the watches on didn't produce a single winner. The Breguet Marine is a little on the small side, but the dial is memorizing. The Big Pilot is beautiful, but it's a little plain, and I'm concerned by it's lack of crown guards. The Daytona is a beautiful watch, but fortunately and unfortunately it's a Rolex. I'm starting to wonder if the Zenith is the watch for me :)

Thanks,

Craig

Edited by craigrhyne

Just an additional word of advice.

Once you have found that gen which you cannot live without, come back here and see if you can get a good rep of it for a couple of hundred dollars.

If you can, get it and wear it for a month and see if it still resonates.

If so, drop the bucks on the gen. If not, you can come back here and thank me for saving you some real money.

Carl

Just an additional word of advice.

Once you have found that gen which you cannot live without, come back here and see if you can get a good rep of it for a couple of hundred dollars.

If you can, get it and wear it for a month and see if it still resonates.

If so, drop the bucks on the gen. If not, you can come back here and thank me for saving you some real money.

Carl

Good advice. I think the Daytona would be abit small for you too, although the gens look bigger than reps, especially Rolex.

PS: Why do you need a crown guard on a IWC BP ?

Good advice. I think the Daytona would be abit small for you too, although the gens look bigger than reps, especially Rolex.

PS: Why do you need a crown guard on a IWC BP ?

A crown guard is probably not necessary, but with such a large crown protruding from the side of the watch, crown guards would be nice for peace of mind.

Thanks,

Craig