When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Podcast Recommendations

Regulator

Working with KB from down unda, and seeing Upland's story (Story Link) on a Switch watch found encased in a Ming Dynasty tomb by archeologists reminded me of this fantastic podcast that I'm addicted to.

It's called Mysterious Universe, and it's produced by two Aussies who know how to put out a top quality product. Their show focuses on topics such as: UFOs, cryptozoology, paranormal, and fringe science. They have free weekly episodes that are one to two hours long. Full disclosure: I actually pay money to subscribe to their +Plus podcasts, it's that freakin' good. I mean -- me, I would download every bootlegable item in the universe if I had the bandwidth, but I pay these guys hard earned money to keep it going.

I have nothing to do with these guys, so I'm not trying to sell a product. I just encourage you to download their free shows and give it a shot. You won't be dissapointed, unless you're a hard-ass skeptic, then you'll feel frustrated why people listen to that garbage.

Check out their forums too: http://mysteriousuniverse.org

Enjoy and let me know what you think!

Edited by Regulator

• 2 weeks later...

Appreciate the heads up this one it looks fun, just watch some "beings" cros the lawn, quite bizarre.

The website is very profesional these guys are clearly serious about their stuff .

The final music tracks on ep324 have impressed me no end so count me as subscriber .

as if my OCD needed anything else

cheers

ST4

Don't get me started on podcasts!!! I'm an addict. Here's the best the net has to offer:

NPR- "Intelligence Squared" (oxford style debating on america's shores, hosted by Mr. Donvan himself)

NPR- "Wait Wait don't tell me!" the FUNNIEST weekly news quiz show out there.

How stuff works- "Stuff you should know"- Probably my second favorite podcast dedicated to random knowledge, really fun and good content

NPR- "Fresh Air"- Great interviews with some of the most interesting people the world can find. From african leaders to asian musicians... simply incredible programming

The Economist- "The week ahead"- the best future headlines on the net. I garantee if the BBC or CNN is talking about it this week.. the economist was talking about it last week or the week before!

You know what I meant. So the question remains. I wonder why they don't do a live show like a radio program.

Not sure I do know what you mean...

Podcasts are sometimes recorded live (3 of the ones i mentioned are recorded radio broadcasts, then converted to mp3 format). The beauty of a podcast is that I get them automatically updated on my MP3 playera and can listen to them when I have time. Me living outside of the U.S. (in spain), i get the oppurtunity to listen to lots of radio and t.v. programs that i don't have an oppurtunity to listen to live here in spain. Does that answer your question Fakemaster???

You know what I meant. So the question remains. I wonder why they don't do a live show like a radio program.

Because a podcast by definition is a downloaded file which dictates that it is a pre-recorded performance. You can't download and store a performance which has not yet happened.

The reply which you took as sarcasm was spot-on and not sarcastic.

If you want live content then you need to install a Streaming audio app ..

I am not detecting sarcasm. There's no reason to download a streaming app when they don't stream. At least that I can srr. The question I asked is 'I wonder why they don't do a live show like a radio program'. They could take calls and the listeners could interact with guests like C2C. That would rock.

I am not detecting sarcasm. There's no reason to download a streaming app when they don't stream. At least that I can srr. The question I asked is 'I wonder why they don't do a live show like a radio program'. They could take calls and the listeners could interact with guests like C2C. That would rock.

Adam Carolla takes calls. He records his podcasts in the evening (PDT) and sends a tweet to announce when the phones are open.

Oh yeah I definitely see the benefit of having podcasts. Every live radio program has them. But there is a spontanaeity that you lose when people cannot listen live. That is if you take calls.

Agreed. I guess I lose spontaneity.. but even if i listen to a program on the radio live.. i'm never one to call in. Never done, probably never will. But to each his own :)

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone actually do this stuff live?

Try No Agenda. Adam Curry and John C Dvorak are the hosts. Adam was the M-TV VJ that ended up making a small fortune on the Internet and Dvorak is a pretty well known tech writer. They stream live as well as publishing a podcast a day or 2 later. They have an app for android and iphone called Pocket NA and it'll tell you when they go live. It's twice a week and it's a pretty interesting twist on the news.

TWiT network. They do broadcasting and podcasts. I watch John Dvorak and Leo Laporte but they have topics on all sorts of things law, food, tech, all sorts of things. And I think there is something like 50 to 80 hours of live video broadcasting every week.