When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Calling All Watch Experts!

Mickey Padge

Hello fellow watch enthusiasts. I have just purchased a Tag Chrono from River and this is what it looks like:

119344-21932.jpg

I like the watch very much, but there are two problems that are bugging me. The first is a tiny hair at the 12 position right here:

119344-21933.jpg

The next issue is the poor date font which you can see here:

119344-21934.jpg

Is there anyone in the UK or the EU that could fix these small issues for me? I would obviously pay for your time and expertise.

Heres hoping...

Finepic's will be able to get that hair out for you, It's not a big job but the date is another matter altogether.

Ken

Thanks for the reply :)

I think the date font bugs me more. I looked in my local jewellers and saw the black face version of this very watch. The font was the only real difference I could see.

I would prefer to send the watch to an expert to get both issues resolved to be honest

Date Font is an issue that can only be solved watch by watch. Different folks are working on various datewheels for movements in the current Rolex and Panerai models. My hope would be AP is next. But I am not aware of any TAG projects going on at the moment. If date fonts drive you crazy stick with no-date watches or ones where there is a date solution available. :)

Is there not just a generic date wheel that could be used? I don't mind if it's not 100% accurate. The font on the watch at the moment is really bad, with spidery lettering that changes from number to number. Anything with better font consistency would be a BIG improvement.

The 17 does not look that bad, but single digit numbers have a thicker font and varying thickness in places. It's just nasty to see :yuk:

From the replies received, I think I need to send the watch to a replica friendly watchsmith.

I have looked and searched this forum and had no luck in finding anything. I did once send a watch to hxxp://www.watchdoctors.co.uk but they no longer look at replicas :(

Could anyone with knowledge of a reliabe replica friendly watchsmith please contact me? B)

Edited by Mickey Padge

The hair is a pretty easy fix, you can drop the movement out of the back of the case (just need to remove the two case clamps and the stem) and push the crystal out, then remove the hair, polish up the crystal and re-press.. The date wheel however requires some disassembly of the movement. The Asia 7750 movements are very delicate and if this is the first movement you have worked on it would be worth finding a watch smith to carry this out for you.

Thank for the reply Davey :)

I have a tool kit being delivered, which has case opening tools etc.....So I am pretty sure I may be able to remove the hair myself as you mention. I will not attempt it if I feel it is beyond my abilities ;)

The date is a different matter altogether. Over the last day or two the date wheel has not "turned over" fully, I get the dates half way through :mellow: I really need to get it looked at and maybe have the date wheel replaced, but so far I do not know where to turn. I can't find ANY information on UK or EU watchsmiths who would be willing to look at the watch :(

The watch has the new 28800 bph movement and it runs very accurate, even when compared to my Swiss ETA 7750 :)

Please feel free to PM me if you know of a good reliable watchsmith who is rep friendly, or even an expert hobbyist ;)

The search continues......

Cheers :D

Edited by Mickey Padge