When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Patina or Dent

cvstos

Hi Guys,

Hope you are well.

I've had my first rep for about a month now, and when it got its first bezel scratch I was like " :black_eye:

Now over the course its got a few nicks along the rim and I mind it less. But its still there.

How do you guys deal with/think of this with your watches?

Its kind of hard to find a replacement bezel in my case too, and I'm still very new to be doing that. Slooowly I plan to get a second Rep but I still love this one, nicks and all.

However, do these things make the watch look cheap or more vintage, with time?

Edited by cvstos

+1

Look at it this way, all the time you wear a watch, it will pick up nicks and dings, it's unavoidable. A watch doesn't necessarily have to be vintage to have a few nicks on it, but at the end of the day, all the time the watch is on your wrist and pristine, you will be worried about knocking it. Once it has taken a few hits and picked up some scars, there's no need to worry about keeping it pristine, and you'll not be worried :) Of course, this does require an appreciation for the wabi-sabi aesthetic...

I don't worry about it. Dented or dinged bezels are the price we pay for larger watches. I don't think of them as dings or patina but just a fact of life with larger watches. And I find the dings are always in the same place on the bezel based on how I wear them. And by the way the gens "ding" just as easily as the better reps. The funny thing is that I tend to be more careful with the reps.

• 4 weeks later...

Sometimes though, getting a dent/ding on a new watch will drive you nuts!

And of course, it really depends on where the dent/ding is on the watch :)

I personally welcome the natural aging of the beating watches have to go through on our wrists. Every once in a while you'll hit a door frame or knock the watch accidently against a desk, I see them as signs that the watch has been worn and appreciated.

I admit to the odd polishing/buffing once every few months though... gives the finish a nice revitilization and a fresh new feel. Of course, the deeper scars and dings stay with the watch, but the annoying swirls of desk diving and light scrapes are conveniently gone. :victory:

+1

Look at it this way, all the time you wear a watch, it will pick up nicks and dings, it's unavoidable. A watch doesn't necessarily have to be vintage to have a few nicks on it, but at the end of the day, all the time the watch is on your wrist and pristine, you will be worried about knocking it. Once it has taken a few hits and picked up some scars, there's no need to worry about keeping it pristine, and you'll not be worried :) Of course, this does require an appreciation for the wabi-sabi aesthetic...

It happens, it is just part of lifew just as we pick up a few knocks and bruises along the way so will you watch, annoying but as Forest Gump said

"Shit happens"

Bezel? A scratch on the back of case is enough to make me sick. I have a history of buying two of the same watches. One to look at and admire before I go to bed, and the other to wear from time to time.

Yes. I sleep with my watches. A true love that no woman could ever provide. And they don't talk.