When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

WTB: Vintage Rolex 5512 & 1680

folkert

hi fellow forum members,

My name is Folkert and I live in amsterdam.

after following this group for almost a year i decided i'm ready for my first buy.. (for me and my GF)

i'm mostly fond of the vintage rolex subs, like the 5512, 5513, 5517 and 1680.

on trustywatchguy's site i found 2 interesting pieces i liked.

can you please give me some feedback on accurancy (for whats that worth on reps), quality, experience etc..

i know that lots need to be done if you want a good accurate watch, but for now i just would like to start with a good looking, almost accurate feel, without modifying..

Rolex 5512 - ROLVIN009

Rolex 1680 - ROLSUB038

thanks in advance!!!

greets, folkert

Edited by folkert

They are not that bad to be honest there are a few of them about, An MBW old style case would be a better start point but with out modding it will never be as good as it can, so these are a good enough watch just to get a wear

They are not that bad to be honest there are a few of them about, An MBW old style case would be a better start point but with out modding it will never be as good as it can, so these are a good enough watch just to get a wear

hi yeah, ive seen the MBW 5513, but also realise that it looks not aged at all.. so it needs modifying.. and a start at 350 dollars i think the other 2 options might be a better startingpoint... maybe later when i'm feeling safe taking the watch apart.. :)

I think the 1680 is the better watch of the two and certainly a good buy.

I don't know if the collectors like Andrew, Puretime or Josh will come out with a 5512 of similar quality as the 1680 any time soon. But it would be cool if they did. Until then, either pay more for an MBW 5512 or go for the one andrew is selling.

I think the 1680 is the better watch of the two and certainly a good buy.

I don't know if the collectors like Andrew, Puretime or Josh will come out with a 5512 of similar quality as the 1680 any time soon. But it would be cool if they did. Until then, either pay more for an MBW 5512 or go for the one andrew is selling.

the 5512 andrew is offering, is filed under top grade vintage and higher in price... is that watch not supposed to be better/more accurate than the 1680 i choose from his site?

the 5512 andrew is offering, is filed under top grade vintage and higher in price... is that watch not supposed to be better/more accurate than the 1680 i choose from his site?

I agree with what Andy said. It's ironic, but I don't believe Andrew's claims in regards to this 5512. Certainly the bracelet and the bezel insert aren't that good. The 2846 is preferable over the 2836 when it comes movements that mimic the vintage rolex because the 2846 beat is 21600 and it's closer to the old 18000/19800 bph Rolex movements. The 2836 is more modern and has 28800bph. It's not a big deal, just another quirk of the serious rep fans. But the 5512 could certainly be a good beater- not too expensive and should give you good service.

go for the 1680 - its even better than MBW -

the 5512 will need more work its an older rep - already a few years on the marked.... i dont think gen insert or plexi will fit...

cheers,

Frank

hi all, thanks a million for your thoughts so far..!!!

after contacting andrew for my order, he suggested these 1665 series subs too:

Vintage 1665 White Sea Dweller Asia Eta 2836

i know, it has the asian ETA clone,which can be upgraded to swiss, but the description claims the watch is the best 1:1 till now..

1) can anyone give me some useful info about these watches? any experience?

2) what about comparison with the previous mentioned 1680... i think the bezel pearl looks more gen on the 1680, but dial less, true?

3) any thoughts on the asian ETA vs the swiss, is upgrading a big plus?

i'm this far that my choice will be between the 1680 or the "slightly more expensive" 1665...

thank you all in advance.

That white 1665 might be the chinese copy of the MBW 1665. The flat white pearl in the bezel insert looks like MBW. If it takes gen parts- crystal, and bezel insert, that would be good. The clone 2836 is a minus when compared to the 2846 swiss eta. Bracelet and end pieces look correct- 93150 and 580 (585 would be best, but 580 is ok).

Now there is a white 1665 which the collectors have with correct datewheel, correct lugholes and springbars and a better bezel insert- don't know if Trusty (Andrew) carries that particular model. Josh and Puretime have it for sure.

For now, I'd stick with the 1680- in white. But bear in mind, these are reps- every one of them has a few shortcomings in this price range.

I own both the Puretime and the Josh 1665.

IMO...The PureTime is by far the better of the two 1665, it does take a gen bezel set-up, as long as you swap the crystal at the same time. It also as a better crown position, the Josh is too low by comparision. The really only problem with the PureTime 1665 is that the crown guards and the crowns are too beefy, but this can be easily corrected. Take into consideration that the MBW itself is not correct and it needs to be modded.

thanx guys for all your feedback,

i finally ordered the red 1680 and the gwsd 1665 from andrew, i think these are newer reps, and i like the slowbeat swiss movement.

i know the red is less convincing being a gen, but hey i don't buy these trying to fool my local watchmaker. just buy them because

i like the looks, also the vintage pearl looks more appealing to me.. :)

these are the ones i bought:

- RED 1680

- GWSD 1665

Andrew was nice dealing with, and because i'm a RWG member and bought 2 pieces he offered a free shipping to the netherlands...which I thought was great!!!!!!

cant wait for the package to arrive!!!!!! :)

I think the only thing that really looks bad on those watches are the crown guards and you have to mod the MBWs any way, apart from that for the price out of the box i like them.

I have not had chance to play with one of these yet, i am wondering how they feel to the MBW.

Another bit i like is the last link on the bracelet where the spring bar goes, being folded like that is more gen like compared to the MBW 93150 that is a solid block

fee3222747d1cecf6c3c0baf9de6d287.image.800x532.JPG