When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Daytona rep repair, wrist pics included

Seraphim38

Hello all. I am a relative newcomer to the site. I have had a Daytona rep for the last 2 years and it just stopped working. My guess is that it is an asian 17J or 21J since it doesn't have any type of working chronometer and beats about 3x per second. Overall cosmetically I don't think it is too bad of a rep but since I am new here, and am reading a lot, I have a lot left to learn.

It recently stopped working and I am wondering if I should have another movement put in or just buy one of the newer 29J Daytonas from one of the site's preferred vendors. If I were to send it to someone to have the movement swapped out, who would you suggest? Thanks for any help in advance.

post-28982-045890400 1277303321_thumb.jp

post-28982-052155800 1277303335_thumb.jp

post-28982-081987400 1277303343_thumb.jp

post-28982-009030400 1277303354_thumb.jp

post-28982-040804500 1277303363_thumb.jp

Edited by Seraphim38

Good to know that it wasn't as good of a rep that I thought it was. I am sure I will grow to be more discerning over time. I have been surfing Perfect Clones site daily...probably too much. Is yours one of the new 28800 29J ones? My guess is that the standard 7750 versions they offer still have a fairly smooth sweep but I don't know since I haven't seen one in person.

Edited by Seraphim38

That review was very informative; thank you for posting the link. So, it seems that the standard 7750 seconds at 6 is the best movement to buy. With regard to staying away from the movement because it is unreliable or can be unreliable, I presume this is relevant to Daytonas only or is it a comment about 7750s in other cases? When you say they are unreliable, how much danger is there in buying a 7750-powered Daytona? Is there a better movement to get?

Context: I would like to buy a decent quality Daytona; not one that is a rediculous fake and not one that is a thousand dollar super rep. I am reading to try and understand what to look for and where to buy it.

Edited by Seraphim38

The seconds-at-6:00 Daytonas are hit-and-miss: some guys report no problems for years while others say theirs stopped running after a few months.

Consider the "vintage" models with seconds-at-9:00; they may not be real accurate but there will be no/less problems with the movement.

There are still a few pre-2000 models out there, with seconds-at-9:00. The subdial spacing is off but if you don't mind, they're worth a look. Here's one (not from a recommended dealer on this site but he is a dealer on another site.

Link

you dont really have much choice when it comes to a new daytona. Either the fake chrono version with the chronohand as the regular seconds hand, or the unreliable sec @ 6, 7750 movement. I would personally stay away from both unless you are willing to send the new watch to a watchmaker for graphite servicing right away. Thats one of the only known ways to make a sec @ 6 movement reliable.

Are you stuck on the idea of having a Daytona? there are much better Rolex reps available these days depending how much you want to spend. WM9 submariners can run you $600 or you can get a new Ceramic submariner or GMT or vintage Submariner or sea-dweller for around $200. Just an idea.

If you absolutely have to have a daytona, DO NOT use the chronograph (watch will live longer that way) and send it to a relible watchmaker for the graphite treatment. You can find out about this treatment by doing a search on this forum.

good luck

dizz