When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

$1000 Deductible On My Auto Insurance

rek001

Hey people I just wanted to share this.

I bought a sweet little Scion xA in January, and have been happily driving it, fun car and great for the city.

On Friday, I drove it to work and parked in an underground garage downtown.

At the end of the day I drove it home and as I was getting out I noticed it had been hit, drivers side rear, just below the gas door, and the corner of the rear bumper had been hit also. Some jerk had hit it while it was parked in the garage.

My heart sank. I take really nice care of this car, I've waxed it twice so far and wash it once a week.

So today I call Met Life to file a claim and find out my deductible is $1000, not $500 like our other car. I thought I asked for identical coverage when I had the Scion enrolled in January. I never really looked at the declarations page when I got the insurance card in the mail for the Scion.

This really sucks, $1000 gone just like that. Now I feel like I shouldn't buy any reps for a long time.

Thanks for the sympathy.

I'm just kicking myself for not paying better attention to the terms of my policy. I've already spoken to my agent and the terms are being changed to $250 deductible.

I'm taking the Scion to the body shop tomorrow, I can't stand looking at the damage, makes me sick.

That sucks dude, especially when its not your fault. Insurance helps, but don't ever think it will give you 100% back. I just had a flood in my condo (not my fault) and will be out of pocket about $1500, despite only having a $500 deductible, not to mention time off of work.

I don't know if this will make you feel any better, but I paid off my Mitsubishi Diamante in june $32,000 (probaby $40K with 4 years interest) sticker price. Cancel my collision in july to save money, August get hit from behind at a stoplight and the driver takes off............... I feel for you. A lot of drivers are assholes and have no respect for other peoples property. Especially here in south florida.

The only thing I can offer is that if where you parked was an office complex thentheres every chance that the person who hit you parks there every day, a walk around the carpark may reveal a car with damage in the right area and paint that matches your car.

I have done this myself and confronted the person, he finally admitted to being the one at fault when I sent the police to knock on his door.

Ken

Thanks for the responses, guys.

Unfortunately it's a City of Chicago parking lot (Millenium Park), so there's no chance of holding them liable. It's a huge lot, 3 underground levels, lots of turnover, I'm never gonna track down the a**hole who did this.

A little bit of good news, I guess. Because of my sterling driving record, not filing a claim with the insurance co. for the time I've been with them, they're reducing the deductible by $200 to $800. Isn't that special?

Anyway, I've moved on with this, taking the car to the body shop tomorrow. I just keep thinking of the nice reps I could have bought with this money.

sorry to here of your bad exp. i had a MB E320 4matic that over a thanksgiving weekend ended up having BB shots all ober the passanger side! i was so many places visiting friends that i have no idea where it happened. but my deduct was not $1000... =)

I also have a scion Xa as a business deliv vehicle everyone loves it and alot of people ask questions about it. its super roomy and gets great gas miles however it the limited verson with the sunroof, enkei rims, color coded trim and numbered plaque on the dash... those low profile tires and rims suck for comfort and eat up some gas miles so we wouldn't get that next time for just a deliv. vehicle.

j

Hey, Discovery - yeah, I like my xA a lot too. Fun to drive, great steering & suspension, I like the high seating position also.

The only thing I don't like is, the car gets terrible mileage. I get about only 23 miles to the gallon! It does have auto trans, and I drive it mostly in the city, but I'm no lead foot.

I contacted Scion about this, of course they were no help at all. They said it could be your driving habits, and let it break in to 5K miles, it should get better. Yeah right. I am really disappointed in this.

@rek001.... yeah we were really disappointed in the gas mileage at first too! i think one of the secs. called toyo about this... the miles did improve but we were NOT getting 23 like you are(25+)... but you live in a city and do mostly city driving? city driving will be less on this kind of car as well as an automatic.... we get about 32 now mostly highway miles with a 5spd. but the tire/wheel combo defin. sucks down the mpgs and has been confirmed with others. We looked at hybrids but the initial $$ of a hybrid like a Prius we calculated did not offset the mpgs gained. Our red xA has 39,000 miles already... but again its a business delivery vehicle.

=)

j

I've got only 3500 miles on the odometer, I'm hoping the mileage improves at least a bit.

We did take it on a few 250 mile road trips, average highway speed 65 mph, and the gas guage dipped down pretty quickly. I'm not happy about this at all, considering it's only 109 HP.

Our 6 cyl Accord gets about 26 mpg on the highway.

I'm praying you filed an accident report (hit-skip) the day you found the damage on your Scion. I know that most states/police departments won't take accident reports after 72 hours. And many insurance companies require them to be on file if you are not to blame for the damage.

In my line of work I see hit-skip accidents in parking lots daily. It blows my mind the audacity of some people to damage or destroy someone elses property and just leave. Luckly many insurance companies will take into account prior clean driving records and your filed accident report and not raise your rates... cross your fingers on that one mate.

Oy, no I didn't file a hit/skip report with police. Not sure where to file such, my neighborhood police station?

This happened in business district, 3.5 miles from where I live.

I have a pristine driving record, no tickets, no accidents for 30 years.