When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Mbw Sub 1680 Compared To Gen One

Tribal

thanks for the comparison,

well if you didnt tell before i would think second one is gen (for example crown is much better on rep and also better looking overall imo)

and i dont get why you all are anal about (second hand microscobic shorter than real etc..)

its bloody GOOD looking watch, enjoy it

Basically if there is a Rolex, first I always think that

iceberg1459 Posted Today, 02:22 PM

thanks for the comparison,

well if you didnt tell before i would think second one is gen (for example crown is much better on rep and also better looking overall imo)

and i dont get why you all are anal about (second hand microscobic shorter than real etc..)

its bloody GOOD looking watch, enjoy it

The coronet looks much better on your dial Jo Jo ... you do have an amazing collectionof vintage pieces..!!

Anal is one way to describe it... I would rather use "attention to detail"

If we did not have members that had such a "perfectionist" attitude toward searching for the correct details... our standards of reps would be much lower and we would be accepting all the flaws that older reps had, thus bringing the quality of the rep to a level where you could actually spot it as a "fake" and not as a "replication".. there is a difference.

when I first started collecting and wearing replications .. I was of the same mindset .. "no big deal" but as you evolve in this hobby your search for more accurate detail becomes acute ... to the point of modding genuine dials into your case set... etc. genuine crowns,, crystals..

and that is the affliction of this hobby to "get it correct" .. I think that is what keeps me from just going out and buying a genuine.. because with all the $$$$ spent on vintage parts I could surely just go out and purchase a new model ... but for me .. just buying it and wearing it has long since lost it's appeal..and it's something that I had a hand or wrist.. in creating... although without Ziggy's artistic vintage Lume it would not be worth looking at as much.. :D

Let's face it, we don't buy these timepieces just to keep time.. it is a source of enjoyment and pride and "viewing".. I cannot count how many times during the day that I take a look at my Zigfried vintage timepiece..(not to tell time) or how many times I change it to another Zigfried timepiece.. i like to be fair with all of my "children" :D

a hand that is the incorrect length would and does "kill it" for me.... "Distraction from the overall" mystique of the timepiece.. or the "Illusion" ...

I'm not debating your statements .. just giving another perspective on what has been for me an "evolution in thinking" of this Hobby..... and being one of many (IMO) that is of the OCD... ... It is what it is........... :lol::thumbsupsmileyanim:

Comparing the lug shape and the cg shape has to be done with the fact in mind that most of the gens got ground and polished over the last decades to achieve a nice surface during the service at rolex. IMO one can't say this or that CG shape is perfect - they all are in a certain way as the variety is far bigger than the three CG shapes mentioned above that came from rolex. Nobody knows who ground how much off of the genuine CGs.

When building a vintage rolex rep one should be aware of the age of the watch. There are decent gen vintage subs and dwellers, but not perfect ones with perfect surface, perfect CGs or perfect bevels on the lugs... This watch is old, therefore it should have at least minor signs of wear. For my taste it is perfect when you think "Jeeezz this watch left its last service pretty well brushed up for how old and used it is..."

I'd even say that the CG shape of the gen showed above is not as it left the rolex factory and was shaped that way during a service.

• 3 years later...

Yepp thanks.

But this is an old thread ;)

Maybe 2008?

Btw This is the one I regret selling :(

Gen flat top Tropic

gen Insert

gen Tube

gen Vintage Crown

Flat three Datewheel

Relumed Hands and dial

All Mods done on the Case etc.