When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

IWC Portuguese (non-chrono) questions

plaifender

Hey guys, I'm not a big expert on IWC watches, but I have a friend that's very interested in a Portuguese non-chrono. I'm not sure about it's accuracy or it's quality.. Does anyone have any advice or know if there have been any reviews on the subject? I can't seem to find anything on this version using the search feature, so I apologize if I may have overlooked something. Thanks.

-Fender

p.s. this is the watch in question taken from puretime's website:

IWC-PA-7D-SS-GRE-01_enl.JPG

Yep, what Andy said. Date wheel is low. The AR is quite nice and it is sapphire as advertised. I confirmed it with a electronic tester. Bottom display case is mineral glass though.

Highly recommended on this watch is to give the bearings of the rotor a good sticky grease. Because the rotor makes quite a lot of noice. On all of these movements (had several go trough my hands and I greased them all).

The strap is so so. rep quality. The deployment is quite nice. All in all a nice watch for a decent price.

If I recall I still have a HKTAN croco strap, like new, in black. don't know the size though and don't know if suited for deployment, if interested, shoot me a pm, I could take a look. Cheers!

Thanks for the responses guys.. anyone got a link to a review anywhere? Anyone know if this watch is available with an ETA movement or only Asian "21j"?

Only the 21j. ETA is not available for this movement. Because no ETA movement is able to replicate both the functions and the way the gen looks from the display case back. just my 2c.

^ agreed. Gen uses an in house movement with a 7 days power reserve. I was researching this watch and it turns out that it has too many flaws to satisfy my obsessiveness and doesn't have the capability to be modded much:

1) Date wheel wrong color

2) Subdial spacing; needs to be further apart.

3) date window position; needs to go down a bit

4) hands look flat (maybe just dealer picture)

I think the regulateur is a nice substitute for this watch, maybe someday

Edited by praetor

Only the 21j. ETA is not available for this movement. Because no ETA movement is able to replicate both the functions and the way the gen looks from the display case back. just my 2c.

This is not the normal A21j that we would find in a sub based on the myota though, this is a seagull (forget the reference) 21j that you see in may other IWCs including the Pig pilot. Noisy rotor but a good movement.

Thanks guys for all the responses. Sounds like it has quite a few flaws.. I can get the watch new for 120euros so despite its flaws It seems to pay good tribute to the spirit of the original design. certainly worth considering for 120euros. Thanks again!

:victory:

• 2 weeks later...

This is not the normal A21j that we would find in a sub based on the myota though, this is a seagull (forget the reference) 21j that you see in may other IWCs including the Pig pilot. Noisy rotor but a good movement.

FxrAndy, I just recieved one and I cant seem to fihure out how to set the date there seems not to be a first position on the crown? Any thoughts?

Hey there fellas,

I found this REVIEW for gen. models. But gives much more detail than anywhere you can find to compare.

e.g. up to now I was not aware that those rep dials have the markers pasted onto them, while the gen has the number markers embossed (punched out from the base of the dial)

and a nice photo of course...

DSC01982.jpg

I'm always in for a proper replica of this watch.

there is only one version of this watch. Anyone that has this watch will be giving you this version. So it's not a question of "WHO" has the best version....

robert from t4d tells me that he can get 2 versions of this watch, but currently the best version is out of stock, so I must wait...