When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ziggy strikes again. Fantastic Franken Omega SMP Chronograph

crystalcranium

This probably belongs in the Omega forum but I wanted the peanut gallery to see this. Asian 7750 serviced. Genuine dial. Genuine bezel insert. Rob had to remove a ridge on the back of the insert do it would lay flat in the bezel. He did this on a lathe. Hands lumed to match the color and intensity of the dial. I've owned the genuine of this watch and the watch is indistinguishable. The bracelet leaves something to be desired. It is missing key articulating movement in the individual links making for a less silky feel. I'll remedy that soon!

omega1f.jpg

omega2.jpg

omega3qa.jpg

Amazing watch but when u add it up, does it make sense? I don't know. The bezel insert was $100, the dial $300 plus the service and lume...another $300...it's almost a $1000 watch when u add in the purchase price. I would be within $400-$500 of a second hand one on the bay. Oh well, it's been fun none the less.

Rob is an amazing craftsman. The care and skill he displays in his work is always of the highest quality. He is, simply put, the best watch professional I have ever used and I have dealt with some high end shops (and some bottom dwellers too...you get what u pay for!). Thank you my friend. We are truly fortunate to have an artisan of your caliber available to those of us in the dark replica world.

Sweet..

there is nothing like a modded Ziggy piece !!! I would take that over a gen actually .. for a number of reasons.. the main one being that you actually had a hand in the hobby of the franken..

Live strong and Wear it Well !!

AC

L

SO amazing!

I love this replication. One of the all time best for sure. Gen dial and insert makes an incredible franken.

Insert is small but very important mod, imho. The gen pearl is very different from the rep.

"Ziggy strikes again" -- I love it when that happens!

This piece turned out fantastic, but I guess I didn't realize they could be had for only $1500 used... That does make me second guess building a $1k franken. But, nevertheless, it's a great piece.

I don't know why but there is something satisfying in building it one piece at a time as it approaches perfection. Maybe that's at the core of our addiction. The most recent version of the replica SMP Chrono isn't anywhere near as good as the sold out version of this watch. Maybe the prices for the genuine used are depressed at the moment because it uses a lightly re-worked 7750 and the new genuine has a from the ground up in house co-axial machine.

I don't know why but there is something satisfying in building it one piece at a time as it approaches perfection. Maybe that's at the core of our addiction. The most recent version of the replica SMP Chrono isn't anywhere near as good as the sold out version of this watch. Maybe the prices for the genuine used are depressed at the moment because it uses a lightly re-worked 7750 and the new genuine has a from the ground up in house co-axial machine.

Ya, I'm not familiar with SMPs at all... rep or gen. But I know (and appreciate) good work like this when I see it. And this hobby is certainly about A LOT more than collecting, even though collecting is a big part of it. So, as is the case with most hobbies, you just can't really put a price tag on it. :thumbsupsmileyanim: