When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Let's get small!

jmb

I saw this vintage used Tudor dial on e-Bay and really liked the coloring and patina so I hadda have it. Unfortunately I forgot to check the diameter and when I went to put it in a typical Prince Date case it bounced off the crystal - Doh!! :g: So, the search for a case to fit the dial commenced and I came up with a rep Tudor case that measures about 31.5mm and 17mm between the lugs. The dial is actually a hair smaller in diameter than the 2836 movement and fits into the case without a movement ring! I had to "modify" some case clamps but finally got everything to sorta fit.

It looks fantastic in the flesh but I have to admit this watch would be for those who are small in the wrist as a 34mm looks huge next to it and it looks kinda out of place on my wrist... :( I think if my wife sees it she might take a liking to it as it.

Here's a few pics...

31.5POD 1.JPG

31.5POD 2.JPG

31.5POD 3.JPG

31.5POD 4.JPG

31.5POD 5.JPG

31.5POD 6.JPG

31.5POD 7.JPG

Nice work JMB, congrats, I really like it. The small gens grow on you once you learn to appreciate the marque. Here's a pic of a speedking I found for L. Her watch is in the foreground; in the background is a full size 6424:

396ab496-1.jpg

JoJo, I don't think I'd heard of a Speedking before, I love that dial! It seems like the older style dials have so much more "soul" then the modern stuff...

JoJo, I don't think I'd heard of a Speedking before, I love that dial! It seems like the older style dials have so much more "soul" then the modern stuff...

I agree jmb, the older watches certainly do seem to have more "soul". In fact, I was just thinking about that yesterday. Yesterday's wrist choice was a transitional matte 16800. Although I like the watch, I still don't love it. I think the main reason is the flat crystal. For some reason, it seems lifeless on the old submariner (although oddly, flat 1680 crystals still have life). I thought about that for a while, and realized that one of the most appealing aspects of the vintage pieces is the dome plexi.

When I originally found L's speedking, it was a bit beat up, it needed service, and it still had a replacement flat-top crystal. With a little research and some luck, I was able to purchase a NOS dome plexi for it. Movement service was completed by the Zigmiester :)

that is a fantastic looking piece; my mrs (who goes for larger womens watches/smaller mens, although has been seen wearing my PAM fiddy and my IWC portuguese chrono in the past :victory: ) would absolutely love that!