When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Josh has a new Explorer II

gplracer

That's the weird thing about this myth: There's no evidence whatsoever of there being any link between McQueen and the 1655, not through ownership, endorsement, or even being in the same photo as someone else wearing one.

However, I have it on good authority that a number of people have watched one or more Steve McQueen movies while wearing Orange Hand Explorers. FACT!

It's a funny thing indeed, as some sites say that he wore a 1655 privately, yet there's still no actual evidence of him doing so, and I'm sure there're enough candid photos about for someone to have found one with the necessaries... Oh well :lol:

I think that fact might be quite correct :victory:

MqQueen never owned an Explorer II as far as anyone knows, and as far as what he wore in films, there is only information on him wearing either his own Submariner or a TAG Monaco. Collectors are using his name to artificially increase the price of this model as a collectible. This is MHO until there is proof he actually owned one.

As far as this new rep, it looks real good for the price, and nobody here has yet to mention one real improvement made, the minute and hour hands are a lot closer in thickness to what they should be. As far as the lume color, too yellow for me, however there are gens out there that have yellowed lume similar to this. I think the photo processing for Josh's website has done this rep a dis-service, and we have seen this before.

FYI - Oliver Shepard (trans-global expedition), apparently wore a 1655 with a GMT Master dial fitted to it, so that kinda tells you just what people thought of the 1655 dial's readability.

Cheers B)

MqQueen never owned an Explorer II as far as anyone knows, and as far as what he wore in films, there is only information on him wearing either his own Submariner or a TAG Monaco. Collectors are using his name to artificially increase the price of this model as a collectible. This is MHO until there is proof he actually owned one.

As far as this new rep, it looks real good for the price, and nobody here has yet to mention one real improvement made, the minute and hour hands are a lot closer in thickness to what they should be. As far as the lume color, too yellow for me, however there are gens out there that have yellowed lume similar to this. I think the photo processing for Josh's website has done this rep a dis-service, and we have seen this before.

FYI - Oliver Shepard (trans-global expedition), apparently wore a 1655 with a GMT Master dial fitted to it, so that kinda tells you just what people thought of the 1655 dial's readability.

Cheers B)

:thumbsupsmileyanim:

I'm building me one of those :victory: Do you know if the watch retained the Explorer handset, or used the GMT handset?

Oliver was a man ahead of his time. Two or three years ahead, by the looks of it!

925367968_ji4Rp-X3.jpg

Thanks for the find, I quite like the look of that, although I must admit, I do have a fondness for the 1655 hand-set, it's just the dial layout which bugs me to use (love it to simply appreciate aesthetically though :good: )

I just had a thought, maybe this custom watch was along the same lines of how the Submariner evolved into the Sea-Dweller, by use and reports from professional divers, and this modification was what turned the 1655 into the Explorer II (should be Explorer III :whistling: ) of today :)

tooday my 1655 arrived..

I replaced it with a different bracelet and took some quick pic..

bb65e811.jpg

I will take proper pics this weekend. I actually quite like it. yes, there are flaws.. but it is a good base watch for a nice project. I bought the DG one. so its bang for the bucks.

Time to work!

8a353846.jpg

This will be the dial to go into it.

c86c6793.jpg