When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How to establish contacts, CN wholesale goods

P4GTR

Can anyone offer any help with establishing contacts for wholesale trading in China? (Not for Reps)

I'd like to try selling something. Knives, swords, airsoft stuff, maybe high quality non-rep watches. Those are just an idea. There are so many things that if marketed correctly can offer premiums when sold in the US, above what they can be bought for abroad with the right connections. Stuff you don't see in Wal-Mart.

Connections... How are they made? How would you get started? Can anyone offer some insight for someone that doesnt speak CN?

Do you speak Chinese, or know someone who could be hired as an interpreter for initial business introductions and quotes? Also doing some market research in regards to types of goods you think will be in demand (always good if it is something you are familiar with, or very enthusiastic about), and quantities you'll be dealing with, before making contacts. The type of rep you'll want to make contact with, will depend a lot upon the quantities you'll be able to commit to purchasing. Just some thing basic things you should probably have a better idea of before trying to establish contact with manufacturers or wholesalers ....

After running a venture for thongs (you call em flip-flops) some years ago, we learnt that you really must be on the ground over there, with an interpreter as Drulee mentioned, at least intially.

Depending on the size/scope of your operation you may find it neccessary to visit regularly.

Another, perhaps easier, option is to source manufacture and contacts from HK, which will in turn be done from the mainland anyway, then via HK to you. You may find the HK route more beneficial as it's much more english language friendly and frankly, a better place to visit for the trappings. This will of course increase the cost marginally with more hands.

Good luck!

Speaking Mandarin (as Drulee points out) would be an absolute bonus although not as critical as a few years ago, many young Chinese are now coming out of Uni with a very good working knowledge of English and companies that deal with the West are snapping them up as sales reps.

My advice is to go to one of the trade gateway sites (D.H.Gate.com for instance), there are very many of these and each gives you access to hundreds if not thousands of sellers.

You will first need a working idea of what you are in search for as general browsing of these sites will have you lost in hyperspace for weeks.

Once you find a seller that interests you, do not contact them on the trade site, instead follow the trail back to their home (this may require a fair bit of Googling), this way you get to see first hand if they are a large manufacturing group (best option) or a mum & dad tin can alley seller.

This is not an easy task, it can take many months of dedicated searching to find what you want, but then you might get lucky and stumble on your best option within a week.

It is damn hard work to find the right people and understanding the Chinese midset can be a huge benefit but if you do set out like I say you will start to get how they think within the first week.

Ken

Ive learned a little just from dealing with this hobby. Ken, Offshore, etc.. You guys are the ones I was thinking about when I made this thread. Thanks for the replies.

I didnt want to put a huge amount of capital into starting it up, IE. going to HK, etc. I just figured with a little digging I might be able to find a good supplier for niche market goods and start an ebay store or something local even. I was at the flea market the other day. This place is huge. Its nothing but booth after booth of people selling various goods from China. Airsoft, knives/swords, plants, bags, all sorts of things.

I will look around on DH Gate.