When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Luming 1655 bezel engraving

mastergod

Ditto Paralizer. Do you mean paint the engraving? If so, I posted a brief description of the process I used to repaint my gold 6239 Newman's bezel numbers that you should be able to search out

Thanks for the pics - interesting.

I know the gen 1655 bezel wasn't lumed:-) and yeah, its for a project - considering a lumed bezel to make 24hrs reading easier around the clock. What I´m wondering is whether there's enough depth to a normal rep 1655 bezel engraving to fill substantially enough with lume? Unlike dial lume I suppose the lume in engraving must NOT be protruding as it would be worn off.

Thinking about either black lume OR aged tritium (on grey beadblasted bezel/case)

Any comments would be appreciated. Am I the only one stupid enough to consider this?

mg

Freddy did you paint and then buff the surface?

In a word, yes. The process is virtually the same as grouting tile -

1. Clean the metal to remove oils/debris (I used denatured alcohol)
  2. Apply paint into the engraving with Q-Tip or your applicator of choice
  3. While wet, moisten (not soak) a soft, lint free cloth or paper towel (I used Viva paper towels) with paint thinner (denatured alcohol) & wipe LIGHTLY across top of metal. 1 wipe ONLY.
  4. With a fresh paper towel moistened with thinner, repeat above step. Use once & throw paper towel away.
  5. Repeat until most of the paint from the surface is removed. Slight blemishes will be removed when you polish the metal once paint is dry.

In a word, yes. The process is virtually the same as grouting tile -

1. Clean the metal to remove oils/debris (I used denatured alcohol)
  2. Apply paint into the engraving with Q-Tip or your applicator of choice
  3. While wet, moisten (not soak) a soft, lint free cloth or paper towel (I used Viva paper towels) with paint thinner (denatured alcohol) & wipe LIGHTLY across top of metal. 1 wipe ONLY.
  4. With a fresh paper towel moistened with thinner, repeat above step. Use once & throw paper towel away.
  5. Repeat until most of the paint from the surface is removed. Slight blemishes will be removed when you polish the metal once paint is dry.

Nice! Thanks!

mg

I did see some pics a while back of a Seiko which had a custom lumed bezel, but I forget who posted them... If you were to use black lume, you'd retain much of the original appearance under normal lighting conditions, but still get the glow in the dark :good:

I think I remember (maybe on another board) where somebody did this but reported the lume was not very durable. Maybe fill the numbers with lume, let dry, then seal with something? The lume will likely shrink a bit when it drys so you can probably lay some clear lacquer or enamel over the top..

I think I remember (maybe on another board) where somebody did this but reported the lume was not very durable. Maybe fill the numbers with lume, let dry, then seal with something? The lume will likely shrink a bit when it drys so you can probably lay some clear lacquer or enamel over the top..

Tried multi-quoting but failed.

TeeJay - nice !! thanks

jmb - excellent advice.

:-D

mg