When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

2893 keyless works issue

Mickey Padge

Hello fellow RWG'ers! :)

I have an ETA2893 based watch, and whenever I remove the crown/stem, they keyless works gets messed up. I have other 28XX based watches, and had a ETA2892 PR watch, and never had any problems with those, not even once. I use the correct tiny screw driver, and make sure to be as delicate as possible, but it always messes up if I remove the crown/stem with this one movement.....

Any ideas? I am sure my watchsmith thinks I am a fool, but I can remove the stems on other watches without any problems, so why just this one watch? Are the parts for the keyless works replaceable? I think spending a little cash to replace those parts would fix this once and for all? I really want to be able to remove the crown and stem on this watch when needed without any problems, but that is not happening so far....

Any ideas/input would be greatly appreciated! B)

Cheers! :D

I always remove in the winding position, one of the gurus here told me that. mind you i still dislodge the castle wheel quite regularly when reinserting it. i think the key to doing it properly is to rotate the stem so the square part is not diamond orientated when removing and reinserting in the same orientation as to not push the wheel out of alignment.

Until recently i have always removed stems in the winding position but after a few problems on 2836s i have stated to do it in the hand set positions and that has really helped not had a problems since.

Until recently i have always removed stems in the winding position but after a few problems on 2836s i have stated to do it in the hand set positions and that has really helped not had a problems since.

Thanks for the info chaps :)

I have used the hand set position pretty much all the time, and only this one watch has given me problems, Domi said to use hand set for 2836's and winding for 2892/3's :)

It's the yoke which is pushed out of place. Always remove the stem in the winding position! This is the safest position as the sliding pinion is in the most stable position. When the yoke is pushed out of it's slot easily (and one messes up the keyless works quite often ;))one could try to bend the setting lever a bit.