When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Any Gluten Free Members here?

redwatch

Hi folks,

Just wondering if there are any members here who need to maintain a strict, gluten free diet? My fiancee has been told by her doctor that she needs to eat gluten free, but we are having a difficult time finding decent gluten free products. Mainly Melba Toast.

If anyone has any suggestions, especially suggestions of stores/bakeries around Southern California, it would be greatly appreciated! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

hey red, my father has celiac disease and cannot eat anything with flour. this puts him on a gluten free only diet. most grocery stores will have a section of foods that will be perfect for your girlfriend. it's just that you would have never noticed them before. also, there are specialty store that sell these products. you'll just need to ask around in your area ... maybe even in your yellow pages. one thing i will tell you, is that gluten free foods do not taste that good. with that being said, there are alternatives to pretty much everything including bread, pizza and even beer. here are a couple of quick links courtesy of google ...

almond glory

california gluten free

gluten free restaurants in california

so cal gluten free

best of luck!

If you have Whole Foods, Sunflower Market (formerly Wild Oats), or Vitamin Cottage, they all cater/stock many gluten free alternatives.

Keep in mind RICE is not gluten based. Another miracle non-gluten grain is Quinoa (keen-wa).

If she is a beer drinker, seek out "Great Divide - Samurai Beer". It is a rice beer that is excellent that all my friends with gluten sensitivity drink. (Regular beer is high in gluten.)

Good luck, HTH,

Those food allergies can be nasty.

One of my friends once got a severe asthma attack from beer. We were eating a dinner normally when it happened. It wasn't because of gluten, but because of colophony. At least that's what he said afterwards. He was rushed to hospital in an ambulance.

This guy's lungs are now in so bad shape that he has to carry an oxygen bottle with him. And he's not an old guy. Just turned 40. He also has an emphysema from smoking. At 40!!! Some people simply don't have good "playing cards" to begin with.

Stuff like this makes you appreciate your health.

My son seems to have a milk allergy... we give him a milk substitute called "Neocate". Expensive as hell but hey... first things first.

I'm only allergic to idiots... but that comes with my job. :D