When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Omega PloProf Crystal

FDG

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys, I got an reply on RWI mentionig the following:

FDG

Mine was redone with the 28.9 and I have had no issues whatsoever. When I did one in 28.8 I wound up with water seepage under pressure. While the 28.8 would probably suffice for showering/swimming if one were to dive off a 3m diving board I'm pretty sure there would be water in the watch.

Setting the 28.9 was a snap with a press. The 28.8 went in with finger pressure. Bit too loose IMO

So this makes me wonder, is our measurement of 28.8 incorrect? Opinions please :)

I can only comment on the case which I actually worked on, and believe me it was VERY tight with a 289 crystal.I also know that sfa from RG, had great problems removing a 289, it was so tight.

Maybe there is a different thickness nylon retainer being used in later shipped watches??

I'm sure the dealers would be paying attention to these discussions, and advising the factories/assemblers.

I did take the existing crystal, and sanded down the bottom (Mineral Glass) section so it was identical to the sapphire ( something around 2886) and it refitted well enough.

But an out of the box 28.9 x 3.0mm mineral is a bloody tight squeeze to install (it requires excessive force IMHO)

Now a 288 installed passed a pressure test to 3 atm, (in the case I was working on) so its safe to say...in my example anyway, that a 288 would be acceptable.

Maybe someone needs to do a sweep around and get some data on the various plastic/nylon retainers being used? as this may be the reason for the variance.

Or could it be, that the dealers actually saw this discussion, and spoke with the factory, and had the existing cases machined a little larger, to accept a larger retainer (due to the fact that so many crystals had been produced at that size?)

Sorry, I don't have those answers, I only know what I saw and experienced.

If you really want to qualify exactly what is needed, you would need data on the case diameter on various watches ( including the V2 as a comparison) the retainer (thickness) and it may be a good idea to know the OD of the new V2 1 piece crystal ( and its retaining ring thickness.)

Starts to get a bit messy really, without having direct contact with the factories to know what changes (if any) were made.

Personally, I would have thought that the easiest solution for everyone, would be to get a V2, 1 piece sapphire from the dealer who supplied each member their original V1! ( As long as the V2 fits)

Surely in the quantities that it would have been produced, it would be nowhere near the cost of the one FGD is proposing..... (and one would expect that the dealers in question would be doing everything within their power to rectify this train smash! Including replacing the faulty V1's with solid 1 piece V2's)

Many questions, not many answers....glad I don't own one!

Offshore

It is really complicated. I've send out emails to some dealers to see if they can supply the V2 crystal. Josh said he can't.

King is contacting the factory to see if it is possible, and other dealers have yet to reply.

The V2 crystal is probably the easiest and safest solution, if all hope fails and the V2 crystal won't be able to supply we would just have to go for the 288 crystal I guess.

FDG, you should ask the manufacturer about their engineering tolerance. The company I use for sapphire glass has a 0.005mm tolerance, so 28.85mm could be achievable.

I would follow the advice of 'offshore' and try source lenses from rep dealers. If you're not in this to make any profit why risk creating a solution that can be fixed with parts from the factory?

• 3 weeks later...

I was ordering samples for a crystal project I have running, so decided to get some additional sapphires made to fit the v1 ploprof.

I got 2x full sapphire samples coming inbound from the manufacturer.

Specs: 28.85+ mm x 4.5mm

Finish: Double-AR (it has a blue/green hue)

*I should have them in next 10-14days.

I will post pics when they arrive, then 2 people can buy them here or over at RG. I don't have a ploprof to test fit, so no returns if they're too tight/loose. I will put them up for cost price ($37) + ship.

Edited by Mikey2008

Guys,

The 2 sample crystals have arrived.

- Full Sapphire

- Double sided AR

- 28.85mm x 4.45mm (approx)

Please let me know if you're interested in buying one. (Disclaimer: The dimensions of the crystals may vary. If you decide to purchase, you buy with the knowledge that the crystals have never been test fitted to a Ploprof v1. No returns)

Price = $37 + shipping

Shipping = $3.

Drop me a pm and i'll forward my ppal details.

**I listing this on another forum, so firm come basis.

Crystal Buyer

1) marinamm20 (reserved pending payment)

2)

pp.JPG

pp1.JPG

pp2.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

FYI: Just a update and offering advice to anyone looking to make a thick sapphire crystal.

The crystals I made were size 28.85mm X 4.5mm; One of my buyers informs me that the crystal supplied is too loose for his watch. He measured the crystal and confirms it was size 28.85mm dia.

There seems to be some variation in the crystal tension ring, so its probably safer to go with 28.90mm X 4.5mm in the future.