When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Issue with a trusted dealer

Ektelon

Hello all,

I purchased a watch from a dealer recommended on this forum. This was my second purchase as the first purchase went flawlessly. The watch I received happened to be the wrong one. After discussing it with the dealer, I sent the watch back at my expense and he said he would straighten it out. This was over a month ago. USPS notified me through the tracking number that the watch was attempted to be delivered over two weeks ago. I again contacted the seller a week ago and was told that it would be looked in to. I haven't heard anything since.

I guess I am wondering if this is common. Have any of you had to send watches back? Is this a common experience? I am probably just being impatient but it seems like a long time and I am the one who initiates all the communication regarding the exchange.

Thanks for in advance for reading and would appreciate any advice.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update:

It is now August 11 and still no watch. I think I am out 300+ dollars.

I know people have had fantastic service from this dealer but I think I am going to be using another from here on out.

Have you asked any mods/admin to help you out?

If not, then do.

Best of luck

Mike

I am sure that I am just whining but it is frustrating. I have read on these forums time and time again that patience is key but this is getting ridiculous. I had to pay to send it back for something that wasn't even my fault (wrong watch sent). Shouldn't there be some concession from the dealer? Instead I get very little communication and I have to initiate each conversation. They have had the watch back for over three weeks

(did I mention that I had to send it back on my nickel?) and still haven't sent my replacement.

I think I will give Mary a try next time.

Thanks for the advice Mike but although I have been a member here for a few years, I have just recently taken the 'dive' into collecting so I feel that I am still relatively new to the community. I don't want to cause any trouble for anyone or be the guy that no one wants to sell to. This is why I haven't mentioned the dealer in my posts.

You have waited long enough and this should be taken care off. Admin/mods will understand and will do their best to help you sort this out. No one is going to think you are trouble because of this.

Judging from your previous posts in this thread you seem to be very sensible.

I have had to send two watches back and they were recieved between 2-3 weeks.It took around five weeks to get my new watch back on my wrist. Everyone has to pay for the return back to China,were all In the same boat In that regurad.I dont like It either but It Is what It Is. It would not hurt to get the advice of the RWG Admin,good luck :) Mike

This is generally a 4-6 week process but I agree, the lack of communication up to this point is disturbing. Recently, I had a piece that was in its third week of travel to China and I spoke to the dealer who advised patience but we also discussed a salvage plan and he took responsibility for the fact that my watch was at the mercy of international air mail because he sold me a watch with defects. I would respectfully approach the question "I think this is a lost cause...what are our options?"...then see what happens.

Thanks for the advice guys.

crystalcranium, the watch that I sent back was received by the dealer over three weeks ago. It took about 8 days from the purchase of the original watch to hit my doorstep. When I sent it back it took over a month to get back to the dealer. I am just wondering why, if he has had the original piece in his possession for three weeks, he hasn't sent the proper watch back? I would think that it would be like the original purchase but I could be wrong.

"Hey Johnny! We just got the watch that we mistakenly shipped back from Ektelon. Could you send him the correct one?" "Sure boss, mind if I get that handled in a month or two?"

I guess I just need to find the humor in the situation. Who knows, it may just show up on my doorstep one day and all will be forgiven.

Hey Ektelon,

I am not a big poster either (don't often have much to offer), but any man who can wait for 2 years to start purchhasing must be a patient man. I agree with the previous comments; it's worth asking the mods for some help. The security you were looking for when you went to a "trusted" dealer is that same security we all look for here. You sound like a very reasonable bloke, so I canot see any offence being taken. I guess it's all of our responsibility to keep the forum and dealers that are endorsed honest.

wishin you all the best!

matt

I'm betting it's Josh, since he asks for standard air mail shipping and it often takes quite a while. I sent back a Cartier quartz and it took around 5 months to have it repaired. Turned out the manufacturer had gone back to Taiwan and he had to ship it to Taiwan for repair. I had given up on it and it finally showed up, good as new.