When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Received my UPO from PT

glassreplica

After many months of hunting for a UPO, I managed to get hold of one from PT. Since placing the order his communication was great and the watch took a couple of weeks to arrive, but he has QC'ed and packaged on. The biggest advantage of PT for me being in Europe was no customs hassles or worries. Also if anything goes wrong it is just a european return for me. I ordered mine with both SS and rubber and am glad I did - though boy are the straps a bit of a hassle to change over and the SS bracelet links are hard work to remove (pins are in so tight so it takes time and patience).

I will be submitting a review and photos when I have had the watch a couple of days, it is literally just out of its well wrapped shipping package and straps changed over.

One thing I have noted though when changing the straps is that the end of each spring bar is bent slightly - this means they are easier to relocate back into the lugs, but, don't seat 100% fully in. Is this normal? is the UPO design such that the pins have to be bent (both are bent in the same way though one more than the other). I am a bit concerned that if I were to flex my wrist hard or catch the watch one end of the strap could come away, fall on the floor and damage my precious UPO.

Does anyone have a spare set of spring bars I could have to try out and see if they fit without being bent; or where is the best place to get a set?

Thanks in advance.

Now on to the watch - I can't help but provide a short overview.

First look of the watch is great. If you are like me and spent an age reviewing this forum before buying, the first things I looked at were the usual rep tell-tail signs:

1. Hand length - fantastic second and minute hands are right out to the end of the dial and were the big reason for me getting the UPO rather than the PO

2. Font on dial - spacing of the font is always cited as an issue with the UPO, but either I am not too observant, but, it looks fine to me

3. Omega logo happy feet - well yes, the happy feet are there, but, I have a gen seamaster (around 8 years old but bought brand new in Switzerland) and that has them too. This does not bother me and actually you have to be in good light and at the right angle, whilst concentrating on a still watch to be sure it has them. If the causal observer were to be able to tell I would be amazed.

4. Watch case - well this is a hard one for me. I have tried on a gen PO when my Seamaster when I took my Seasmaster in for service, but can't truly recall how it felt. The UPO feels solid, though I personally think the case is a bit shiny. It is also a thick case (don't know whether that is accurate to the gen or not, can only compare to my Seamaster which is much thiner in comparison) - can anyone confirm whether the UPO thickness is right?

5. Bezel - aside from a little glue which needed cleaning away - this looks great. It turns with solid feeling click and only goes in one direction. feels and looks really good. The glue is a worry as I will want to use this swimming and so may need to take the bezel off and seat with a stronger glue - don't want the UPO to come out of the water naked!

6. Pearl - well it is seated wrong - bit too low in the triangle but I knew it would be.

7. Straps - great. The SS is solid with a strong clasp. In terms of accuracy and quality - it is a little looser and cheaper feeling then my seamaster, but, I would expect it to be. Once I get some additional pins I will swap the UPO back to the SS and wear it on this for a while. At the mo I have it on the rubbber and am really enjoying it (only had it an hour though). The rubber is soft and pliable and feels great on the wrist.

Overall impression watch - great watch and quality. I will keep it on a few days and check accuracy, comfort, etc. and then write up a proper review with pics.

Overall impression dealer - fantastic. Once ordered, PT was quick to respond and gave me updates all of the way through. He QC'ed the watch and packaged it really well. He has been a gent to deal with and impressions to date are perfect. Hopefully nothing with go wrong with the watch, but, if it does I will review how that goes and the results - let's hope I never need to find out though.

Mods I am keen to try:

1. Waterproofing - I want this for light pool and sea swimming so waterproofing and testing is a must. Are there any good and reputable EU modders who can do this for me? I think the mod involves sealing off the helium valve from inside and testing?

2. The crown stem - undoing this and winding the watch worries me given the number of reviews where crown stems get stripped so I am being extra careful. I think that I will have this modded with a gen as part of step 1.

3. Bezel gluing - as if this is attached with the dreaded water-based glue and I swim, it won't last long.

If anyone has any thoughts on the costs of mods 1-3 it would be really appreciated. Likewise the best way to source the crown stem and whether I should dare attempt this myself (my abilities so far are limited to taking of the case back and adjusting straps so a complete noobie - there is nothing like learning by trying, but, not learning by breaking!)

If anyone has any spare bars, or can point me to somewhere to get them easily and quickly, it would be really appreciated.

As I say a fuller review with photos to follow. The above is my reaction after one hour with the watch and so far I would have no hesitation in recommending the UPO and PT

I have a ton of 22mm springbars laying around, but I think they're too thick for the UPO bracelet (might fit the strap).

Bought these on eBay for my UPO, which is no longer with me. Let me know if you want a couple.

Thanks all - Pugwash, sorry, yes, I am in the UK.

Resistor - that would be great. Do you want to PM me with a price for a couple of bars (if you have lots maybe 4 bars as I have a fear they are going to be a pain to put in and am concerned I break one)?

BoltGP - sincere thanks for the links. I was quite surprised at the price of the crown and tube - I was expecting a lot more. Looking at the replacement process, it does not look too bad, so maybe I will give it a go. Anyone had direct experience and would they say this is an easy first mod? Or, would it be better to pass to an expert?

Thanks to you all - I am always impressed with this forum and the advice I get; it is a great source of information and everyone is always so helpful. Am looking forward to the weekend when I can wear the watch, take some photos and complete a full review.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Photos at long last and boy were you right adjust the SS bracelet was hard work and removing spring bars a pain. I am now on the SS and think that I will leave it on this. I did take some photos on the black rubber before swapping over, let me know your thoughts on this UPO and feel free to point out any flaws - the pearl is the big one I have noticed.

Also, I have tried to photograph the movement in the hope that someone can confirm that this is the Swiss movement.

The main update I would like to make to this watch is to replace the bezel inset with a better one (better positioned pearl).

Found this bezel on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...#ht_7559wt_1137

It looks as if this bezel on ebay has a much better positioned pearl and a better rep of the real thing (though the paint around the 20 does look a bit patchy, though I think that is just light reflections - what do you think?)

However, if the pearl is part of the bezel on the UPO that will cause problems fitting the above - unless the pearl can be sanded right down, or surely is it not just also glued in on the UPO and needs a bit of work to remove? Advice from anyone who has done this would be really welcomed.

Also, any comments in general about the watch would be gratefully received.

Cheers to you all.

post-10511-088084900 1285529136.jpg

post-10511-082911900 1285529154.jpg

post-10511-013980700 1285529164.jpg

I also put mine on the rubber for a few days but I really think some watches look best on the ss,this Is one of them IMHO. There are quite a few members here that have done several mods on there PO,Im sure you will get some very good advice from people that have actually done them. I think If you put a gen bezel on It wont turn, Im not 100% sure about that but I do believe I read that resently. Good luck with your Po,looking good so far :victory: