When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Mare Nostrum v1 - pic review

I wont cover the major, well known flaws of this piece here. Here are the facts:

• Stainless steel case, 52mm diameter, 57mm with crown, 64.6mm lug-to-lug, 14mm high
  • 26mm lug width
  • Lug bars with screws on both sides
  • Screw-down crown
  • SeaGull ST-1901 2-register chronograph movement
  • Running seconds @ 9, chrono minutes @ 3, center chrono seconds
  • Blue (painted) hands
  • Display case-back

The dial states:

RADIOMIR

PANERAI

MARE

NOSTRUM

The case-back engraving states:

OFFICINE PANERAI

PB 0559927 OP 6731

STAINLESS STEEL <OP logo>

30m

The crown engraving states:

MARE NOSTRUM

One thing I noticed that I haven't seen anyone else comment on so far is the fact that the bezel is sloped, with a high center that gets shorter as it approaches the edge. I've been looking at pics of various gens, and although I can't find a shot that shows the bezel profile, I think either they must be flat, or have a more subtle slope than the rep. This may be the other "off" thing about the bezel that couldn't be discerned from the pics posted by the dealers.

The dial indices appear to be engraved, then filled with lume, so it gives a pseudo-sandwich dial appearance. The case-back engravings are nicely done, with a decent amount of depth to them. The case-back itself screws on and off smoothly using just a sticky-ball.

The crown engraving is done to the same standard as the case-back engravings. One thing worth noting about that is that the blue plastic that covers the crown during shipment got wedged into the engravings and took quite a bit of effort to remove.

The lug bars have screw-ends on either side, and you'll definitely want to check them after receiving yours, as the screws on this example were loose.

Here are the pics:

Picture010.jpgPicture017.jpg

Picture028-1.jpgPicture032.jpg

Picture019-1.jpgPicture025-1.jpg

Picture013.jpgPicture028.jpg

Picture027.jpgPicture031.jpg

Great pictorial review. It is interesting because the thing that screams out rep to me first and foremost is actually the hands. This was my issue with the 253 as well. But it can be fixed using the same paint we used on the FM conquistador hands back in the day.I would be curious as to whether the dial lettering is the correct color as well.

Great pictorial review. It is interesting because the thing that screams out rep to me first and foremost is actually the hands. This was my issue with the 253 as well. But it can be fixed using the same paint we used on the FM conquistador hands back in the day.I would be curious as to whether the dial lettering is the correct color as well.

I thought the same about the hands...ugly blue paint, but they got the shape close enough, so it should be fixable with some effort. I was thinking for a vintage MS build, that perhaps they would look pretty good if stripped and cold-blued (assuming that they're steel underneath).

As for the dial color, I think the lettering should probably a yellowish cream color and not the brown-gold that we have here. Check the MS related pics on WatchProSite:

http://panerai.watchprosite.com/show-forumpost/fi-717/pi-3632116/ti-583566/s-0/

http://panerai.watchprosite.com/show-forumpost/fi-717/pi-3627666/ti-582876/s-0/

http://panerai.watchprosite.com/show-forumpost/fi-717/pi-3610091/ti-580616/s-0/

Edited by PatronSaintofChainsaws

sorry but the bezel is very bad. I wonder how they were able to mess up so much and Josh's site said "PAM experts" helped with this. The so called experts must be blind.

As far as I have come to understand, the experts were ignored as far as the bezel is concerned. IMHO still a good value piece and an opportunity to deepen our pam collection.

mg

Have to agree for the price no fight. Looks like we'll be seeing more modded versions of this watch in the near future. Thanks for the review & pics, appreciate that! I like this watch! Cheers!

great review.

any mode planned?

would be interesting to see this one vintagised!

I like it

The possibliity of running into someone who actually knows what a Mare Nostrun is let alone half the gens, Frankens and super reps we wear are so minute anyway

I like the green strap too, but not in the web, a green olive Ammo would be killer