When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Chronomat B01 vs. Chronomat Evolution

Stormfather

hey guys,

it's been a long time since my last post and i was for a few month realy off from the whole watch-theme. but now the virus got me again. i searched a bit around and found two watches...and now i don't know which to take. on the one hand, i realy like the chronmat b01, but i hate the sunken date. while pt just offers the graphite one, the datewheel is white and i guess it would bother me every minute i wear it. on the other hand, the beezel is better on the b01 to my mind. see, i would just take the evo because of the date of the b01. guys, can you help me? would it be better to take the evo or shouldn't i be that pedantic and take the b01?

has maybe someone a b01 or a evo from pt and can post some pics?

I'm getting the B01 soon. I'll make a big review & pictorial of it.

HERE is a discussion about the B01 rep.

I made a lot of research and compared reps to gens before I made my purchase and came to the conclusion that the Onyx black dial versions are hands down the best. The recessed datewheel are barely visible on these (black on black).

I haven't seen the B01 Ultimate in the flesh yet, but based only on the pictures I'd say it's better replication than the BCE stick version. BCE lume sticks simply aren't that great and precise, regardless of the version. All my friends praise the B01 rep quality so I'll take their word for it.

Onyx black versions are the best, period. Stay away from the graphite because the recessed dw is more apparent on that. The blue versions are totally off and I'm not convinced of the other dials, either.

This was my choice. I think it's the best of the B01 reps... THE version to get, imho.

61911942.jpg

PS: Check my section, there's a BCE buying guide (if you decide to go for the BCE instead).

BT has certainly done the research. B01 is a nice watch, it also grows on me everyday.

On the other hand, with BCE, you can find more gen parts for it. I guess this could be something to consider if you want to keep the watch for a very long time. BCE also uses unmodified A7750/ETA7750, which can be a plus.

I have three BCEs: one complete one, one will be done in a month or so and one just parts. I love all of them.

This is my modded one (with gen dial and bezel). Good luck!

IMG_2215c.jpg

thanks for your posts.

i guess i'm going to take the b01....the bce looks great, especially the one you postet, cougaree, but the b01 with black dial and roman numbers is just awesome. now that i've made a choice, i'm facing a new problem. pt offers the b01 in 316L and 316F steel....the 316F version costs 60$ more than the 316L version....would it be worth taking the expensive one? or is the difference between the two version nothing to speak of?

more visible than the apparent steel grade - is that the Ultimate (316F) has removeable rider tabs like the gen. This tab issue was highlighted before the release of the 316L version, but for some "unknown" reason :g: , the Makers did not act on it.

I chose the more expensive "ultimate" version myself. Without seeing them side-by-side I think detecting the difference might be tough. PT said that there actually IS a difference.

Well anyway... that's what I'm going to receive.

On the other hand, with BCE, you can find more gen parts for it. I guess this could be something to consider if you want to keep the watch for a very long time. BCE also uses unmodified A7750/ETA7750, which can be a plus.

The modification to move the 12 sub dial to 3, has no impact on the movement. The modification only "runs" when the chrono is used. Gen companies do this all the time

Superb choice, By-tor.

The black onyx dial with romans is really sharp - a bit retro art deco, just beautiful.

Can't wait for your usual excellent review.

@cougaree: That's just an insanely good looking BCE. Too bad the rep dials aren't quite like that. I think the rep B01 dial execution is better than any BCE dial (based on the pictures only of course).

Thanks BT! The gen BCE dial is definitely awesome, much better than the rep BCE dial. On the rep BCE dial, when you look at it, you know it's a rep without needing to know more about BCE watches. I hope your actual B01 is up to your expectations. Can't wait to see your great reviews. Just like you, I use to not liking the B01, but now it starts growing on me. This is also true to Breitling SA. I use to think they are too big, but now... I'm getting a v3 white dial next week. They are just super comfortable to wear.