When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Breitling Pro II bracelet rep vs gen

cougaree

I'm really not a "braceletholic". I personally feel as long as the bracelet has good finish and all the links are smooth, I'm a happy camper. However, just like some of you, I prefer bracelet over straps for some reason. I think some watches are just not made to use straps. Today I received an used gen Breitling Skyland bracelet from UK. I compared it against my rep Skyland bracelet I just bought new a month ago from Ms. King. Although the wrist presence on both bracelets were very much alike, I noticed some big differences. I had to buy this gen because the price was very reasonable and I ran out of things that need to be improved on this watch (well... I would really like to get Chief AR on it but I didn't want to bend the tabs to get the crystal out).

These are my findings:

1. Gen bracelet is lighter. Both bracelets are sized for my wrist, the gen weigh 1oz less than the rep, but they feel no difference on the wrist.

2. The dent on the clasp (where you nail can reach down to flip the little cover with Breitling wing on it) is bigger on the rep than on the gen.

IMG_2237c.jpgIMG_2243c.jpg

3. The text are smaller on the gen than rep, but I won't notice it unless the watch is removed from the wrist.

IMG_2242c.jpgIMG_2241c.jpg

4. The imprint of the wing of course. I can care less about this. The gen PRO I also has a little bit. When the bracelet on my wrist, I can never see it.

IMG_2240c.jpg

5. The buckle on the rep is bigger and less curved. On the wrist, however, they feel the same.

IMG_2253c.jpg

6. The rep doesn't have the date of manufacturing. The gen does... which I really care less about.

IMG_2254c.jpg

7. The one thing I do care about is that the rep uses different link screws than gen. The gen uses screws and link bars (see the one on the right), which I prefer because couple times, the screws on my rep bracelet came loose and I almost dropped the watch (fell onto my carpet luckily). Since then I check the screws every couple of days. Maybe I can fix this problem by putting more lubricant on the bracelet? I haven't tried.

IMG_2266c.jpg

On the other hand, I'm very pleased with a rep Pro II bracelet made for Breitling SA. Unfortunately I really don't know its version. The bracelet compares very accurately against the gen. I actually really can't tell them apart side by side. The link screws and bars are the same... just like gen and the rep has no imprint problem and has date of manufacture stamped on the back.

IMG_2265c.jpg

IMG_2263c.jpg

IMG_2262c.jpg

IMG_2259c.jpg

IMG_2258c.jpg

My conclusions, the Skyland rep bracelet is pretty good bang for the buck! Most of its inaccuracies do not bother me and its price is much much lower. Thumbs up for the SA bracelet! It's replicated very well (I don't think it can get any better).

That's a great comparison. Thumbs up! :good:

"Braceletaholic". :D

I guess I am one. I want to wear all my watches on a Bracelet. Especially Breitling because Breitling bracelets are so nice. I never understood why would anyone wear his 'Ling on a strap.

One thing where Skyland should get a special mention is the correct SEL recess. That is missing from the Steelfish replicas (where the SELs are on par with the lug tops). All gen Breitlings that use Pro2 have slightly recessed SELs.

I mean especially I can't imagine to put a bracelet on a fiddy... that's just not happening!

That's probably true. But I can't ever imagine owning one. :D

Very nice comparison Cougar! Im definitely a braceletaholic and believe most 'lings belong on one. I bought a gen pro II for my SA (but never had the chance to get the feel of the rep).....it does look like good "bang for the buck" though........ ;)

@Osrep: Definitely. With the quality like my rep ProII for SA, I don't think I need to get a gen one.

@Krpster: Maybe I should try that. I have not find any bracelet/strap that work well with my SOH yet. I did manage to get a new gen mesh bracelet, but I'm hesitant to take it out of its wrapper.

@Chronoluvvv: Thank you sir! :)

In my opinion..... The SA rep Pro II is too thin and "dainty" compared to the gen. The skyland rep though looks like it might not have that problem. But the SA is a not only a dead giveaway, but just looks "wrong" even without making a comparison. I think I sold my rep pro II for $50 and then paid about $390 for my gen pro II for the SA... and I haven't looked back.

Thanks for measuring! Since your gen SA bracelet is measured 4.35mm, that means my rep is bit thin. It makes perfect sense to make the sa bracelet is bit thicker to balance out the watch. It's quite possible they make all the rep Pro II the same thickness. I wonder if Breitling has all its 22mm bracelet with one thickness and all its 24mm one thickness.

They probably do. I also think my rep pro II was thinner than 3.7mm. But I had never measured. I'd have guess more like 2.7 mm, but could be wrong. Either way, I seriously doubt that on the wrist anyone in their right mind would ever notice. Glad to hear the rep bracelet is of good quality. They usually are not.

Properly treated Skyland rep bracelet is very, very good quality. I don't understand where these claims of "bad rep bracelets" come from, I simply don't. They might feel bad out of the box but completely different after oiling and hard polishing.

I have gen Pro2 (brushed) on my Fish and the links are just as thick... and I have a hard time calling the treated rep bracelet slightly inferior in any way. If you're picky you could complain about the clasp engraving, it's sharper and more accurate on the gen. Of course the gen also has superbly machined brushed finish but you pay heck of a lot for this (if you remember how expensive the Ling bracelets are).

Steelfish rep bracelets aren't as good. They don't have correctly recessed SELs and generally there seems to be sloppiness in that area. Treated Skyland rep bracelet is superb, imho.

In my opinion..... The SA rep Pro II is too thin and "dainty" compared to the gen. The skyland rep though looks like it might not have that problem. But the SA is a not only a dead giveaway, but just looks "wrong" even without making a comparison. I think I sold my rep pro II for $50 and then paid about $390 for my gen pro II for the SA... and I haven't looked back.

+ 1 !! Rep feels like aluminum foil vs the gen. The SA is a very big and very heavy watch therefore you need something thiker than tin foil to hold it on your wrist IMO ....