When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Cartier Santos XL by the pool

txcollector

w3.jpg

w4.jpg

w2.jpg

w5.jpg

w1.jpg

I just received this one. Here are my first impressions:

1. The crystal is not as bad as I though. Yes the bevel could be smaller but it's not that noticeable (the crystal is thicker than the OEM hence the bevel is a tad wider)
  2. The dial is slightly darker than it should be (mainly because of the pearly treatment). Not really noticeable in everyday use. It won't pass if you have the gen close by.
  3. The biggest disappointment for me is the case finish. The top is very good but the brushed on the side of the case is strange. It should be the same as the top but it appears to be finer.
  4. The other let down is the polished edges. They should be sharp and they appear to be soft. Both case issues seem to be fixable with some patience and steady hands.
  5. The crown is not that impressive either but again not very noticeable from a distance.
  6. The strap is not bad for a rep. I will probably get a real croc though.
  7. The movement is very good though. Setting time feels very steady like my gens (not sloppy like some rep movements).

Congrats! So the main question is, does it live up to the hype of the best Santos rep so far ? I believe you also had the Rocket and/or the PWC ones ? or am I mistaken

From a cost benefit yes. The $1500 version is still better but way overpriced.

This is my first Santos rep but I have studied the gen for a couple of years.

The case on all previous versions has been sub par. A lot of attention has been paid to the dials (rocket being the best until now) but the tells are around the case and crystal also.

I really don't understand all the fuss about the PWC. Other than a better positioned X XI I see nothing outstanding about that rep.

This rep as is will not raise any eyebrows unless you happen to have a gen close by or someone that knows the gen very well.

I'm receiving OEM dial/hands/crown tomorrow and I'll post detailed comparison in color texture and shape of all parts.

The case needs a few mods but they are not too difficult.

Wow! If you don't mind me asking, where did you source the OEM parts? Looking forward to seeing the differences!

This is a very long story (more than 1 year) that involves 2 members and Cartier dealer circumventing Richemont group's policies not to sell OEM parts.

Needless to say both previous owners have tried to build this franken but both backed out for different reasons. Now it's my turn.

Unfortunately from what I've heard this was an one off deal.

I just received mine from Josh (and I had the last "ultimate" from him, as well). No one mentions the biggest problem in my opinion: Winding. The crown guards on all the reps of this model I've had (on my third) are either too wide, or the crown too small to make winding anywhere near as easy as on the gen. Maybe there is a mod that would remedy this, but I'm not adept at that sort of stuff. BTW, I also just ordered a "carbon" Santos 100 from Josh, and I'm anxious to see it. My favorite remains my TT chrono with 7753. I added a gen Cartier alligator strap to this (as well as on the non-chrono XL) and it really makes the watch.

No one mentions the biggest problem in my opinion: Winding. The crown guards on all the reps of this model I've had (on my third) are either too wide, or the crown too small to make winding anywhere near as easy as on the gen

hand winding an automatic watch is detrimental to the health of the gear train. If you must do this, only wind it until the watch starts, then wear it in order to wind it further.

normally, you would not wind it at all. you would swirl it in your hand 20 or so times to make the watch start, then hack it, set it, and wear it.

Where did you get the OEM strap?

May I ask you why wind a 2824?

I will post pics tomorrow comparing the OEM crown with the rep.

Cartier boutique with no questions asked. PM me and I'll tell you which one. I've bought there. As for winding, I think shaking the watch doesn't wind it enough for stability and accuracy. Then, too, I might not wear it for a day or two, but I want it ready to wear (and may not have a position open on the winder).