When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How do you protect your collection?

P4GTR

I've heard more and more horror stories about home invasions lately. Now today, a neighbors house was robbed in the middle of the night. We live in a nice area, picture typical suburbia.

I am a gun owner, and feel my wife and myself are well protected between me, the .45, and the dog. The problem is, how do I protect my belongings when I am not home? What if there were a fire, flood, etc?

I can't stomach the idea of taking a complete loss in the watchbox department. With pictures of everything, How would you suppose one should handle insuring our kind've hobby when talking with an agent regarding home owners?

Please discuss...

I have my collection noted on the home and contents policy at an agreed value. I've supplied the insurance company with a list of the watches and their original costs. I also keep the Paypal records to back that up.

The insurance company was surprisingly happy to accept all that, there was no drama over them being replicas, although I did have to explain that they were not the canal st type. They did think I was a little mad though..

Having said that I have never had to actually claim. Most insurance policies do exclude illegal goods. Replica's are not strictly illegal to own or import for personal use here in New Zealand but there is obviously some danger if you catch the wrong person when you make the claim, or they thing you're having them on. Also watch for depreciation clauses where goods are depreciated to "todays value" when you claim. Theres a chance they could claim used fake watches are valueless. Its much better to have an agreed value for this kind of product.

Remember the golden rule of insurance.. Tell the insurance company EVERYTHING before you need to make a claim. Be totally up front about them being replicas so there is no argument later. (obviously that may vary in less replica friendly countries.. eg Italy & Switzerland).

I also have a suitably mounted and hidden floor safe to actually keep them in. If you're really concerned consider a safe deposit box and rotate a selection out to home for wearing every few weeks.

I have the sneaky-ist custom built in floor stash spot. Even if i pointed it out to you, you wouldn't be able to see it. Its very clever. mind you it was done as part of a major renovation a few years ago, inside are multiple custom safe boxes.

I really should keep my watches in there though.

:p