When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

111E need some help with the hands

Richie29

OK Guys, I just recieved this 111E in trade today and discovered that the hands are reaching for the sky!!! the second hand looks like a spoon and the minute hand has etched a perfectly formed circle in the inside AR..the watch was supposed to lumed by Vac over a year ago so if I have to change the hands the lume would be off..any sugesstions...I included a few quick iPhone pics

a3f6c627.jpg

5c54678e.jpg

1fcf2fab.jpg

675e9839.jpg

73baf5c1.jpg

19baa21c.jpg

thanks

I think you can probaly remove and reset the hands without too much of an issue...

As for the etching in the AR...You may need another crystal...Or you can just strip the A/R.

Sorry to hear about this though, and hope you get it figured out.

it seems like someone tried to remove the sec hand and bent it.

It's actually simple to fix.

1) Let the power drain (if you don't know how to do this just wait until the sec hand stop moving)

2) Carefully remove the hand

3) Again carefully with your hands straighten the hand

4) Put it back.

Of course you will need to remove CG, crown, get the whole thing out of the case, etc.

These hands are very thin and easy to bend out of shape. I would suggest, after removing them, get two phone books (or heavy books if you don't use those antiquated things anymore) that have absolutely flat covers. Then place the hour and minute hands on a sheet of watch tissue on one of the very flat covers. Now fold the tissue over to cover the hands. Then lower the other heavy book with very flat cover onto the tissue and hands. Don't apply any further pressure, just leave them for a few hours.

You should probably place the hands on the tissue, with the face down, so the tubes are pointing up.

When the time has elapsed, remove the top book, open the tissue, and your hands should be nice and flat.

It may be faster doing it other ways, but this eliminates the risk of warping or bending your hand set by applying too much pressure.

As for your Vac luming, any pics? I've received a couple of dials in the past that have claimed to be Vac lumed but don't seem to be. Vac's PAM mix is a distinctive aqua-green colour when glowing (and it is a strong glow), unless you've got the Tritium mix, is yours?