When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watch takes forever to start up

kingkaiser

So I have a watch I'm absolutely in love with in terms of looks but, as is the case with most pretty things, its a little slow on the uptake. Bought it from a member, and its had this problem since day 1. Its an automatic, and takes forever to get "charged". I've sent it for servicing, lubing etc, and it keeps time brilliantly, but it still takes about 45-60 minutes before it decides its ready to go. Does this mean I have a ticking timebomb on my hands (none of the puns were intended)? Is there a fix? Or is this normal, and the watch will keep on going for years despite this little flaw.

Thanks

I am unclear as to what you mean by '45-60 minutes before it decides its ready to go'? Do you mean the watch sits motionless for about an hour after you manually wind it several times, or do you mean it runs slow/fast for an hour before keeping proper time?

In either case, a properly serviced watch should run fine from the start. If not, it requires (proper) servicing.

Sounds a bit like a couple of mine - strap them on and they won't start moving till a fairly significant amount of movement has wound them up.

I agree that a service should fix the problem. Have you had a 'dip and swish' service each time, or a full strip down and rebuild?

Sounds a bit like a couple of mine - strap them on and they won't start moving till a fairly significant amount of movement has wound them up.

I agree that a service should fix the problem. Have you had a 'dip and swish' service each time, or a full strip down and rebuild?

Hi Freddie/member x - yeah, that's exactly what I mean. The hands don't move for a long while after the watch is in motion. I've had it serviced twice (albeit by the same guy). Maybe a new watch smith is in order...now to find one who won't take my panerai and flip the crown guard upside down because 'it looks nicer like this, no?'...