When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

franken/ vintage rolex

512modulo

HI all

im just wondering who here, would be willing to take on a project of making me a vintage looking 1655 mcqueen and a 5512..

id like the 5512 to look like some of the watches ive seen in the collections part...its really started something for me and i really really want one...

any pointers and help would be fantastic

A larg part of the fun of owning a franken is knowing the effort you put into it! If you just want the vintage look, there are a lot of tutorials and topics about how to achieve that look. I suggest you buy a cheap starter watch to vintagize...maybe Narikaa can help you out, he always has a good selection of cheap watches.

Some of the dealers like Josh and Puretime (I believe) have a new model of the 1655 which is pretty nice. It comes in eta and asian 21j movements, yellowed or white markers (I prefer white myself), folded link bracelet and is a very nice watch for the price.

http://www.1-pc8838.com/00rlex00104-vintage-explorer-1655-ssss-asian-2813-p-8989.html

This looks like a very nice watch out of the box and might not even require mods.

5512's are a little tougher. To get a decent one, you're probably going to have to get an MBW and then you are looking at some mods to make it better.

Drill the lugholes

trim the crown guards

install a better bezel insert

Other mods can also be done, gen crown and tube, correct bracelet (93150 w/ 580 ends), and some gentle aging to make it look like a 40 year old watch. But first step is to get the watch and then you can proceed with the mods from there.

And above all, keep reading and learning- it doesn't happen overnight!