When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Etiquette on gen forums vs RWG

metaljesus

I know a lot of members here are regulars on TZ and TZ-UK, so many may already be aware of this and/or seen the thread below. A guy on TZ-UK tries to sell a new ceramic sub at a 14% profit. Many would say fair enough when there is a 12 month + waiting list. But not on TZ-UK! They go nuts and flame the guy. I

Yeah that TZ.uk thread went way overboard.

Many people behave like that a lot on the Internet... like little children in school, mass-bullying the weakest classmate because it makes them feel bigger. It's pretty pathetic.

But then again flipping the watches for profit isn't that nice, either. Especially among the forum friends.

Threads that run overboard is also a sign that a forum is vibrant and can survive....why? Yes it is because people should be allowed to show their emotions and opinions....and it shows they are truly interested in the subject. Yes some members will feel as if they are mistreated by such openness also. Obviously it is an advantage that the more serious posts are in clear majority...but without the entertainment (=Threads that run overboard)it all becomes too dull...freedom of speech is the most important on a forum...and that is the freedom to even say things that are not poular or nice

While I'll agree that the flaming on that thread was un-called for, and while I would have personally moved on without saying anything, I do understand the feelings expressed. Some folks buy certain watches for the wrong reasons. If you're telling me that this person bought the watch after being on the waiting list, decided it was not their cup of tea, or could not afford to keep it, then selling for the same price to recover the funds would be expected. Tacking on an additional 600 pounds, just because they think they can, is bad form, and is usually done by someone who is more interested in flipping for profit than in the watch itself.

Calling someone out in the interest in protecting others from a bad deal is well understood, but anyone looking to buy any new luxury watch should make their first stop at the AD, and then research the desired model, in short, do their homework like all of us do and not just buy something on-line just because they want it "hot and now". The buying public will decide the selling price of that watch, but I do hope the seller gets stuck with that one for a while. Next time, they will think twice about trying to stick it to an on-line community who are supposed to support one another in a common interest.

My .02

Cheers Everyone 8)

While I'll agree that the flaming on that thread was un-called for, and while I would have personally moved on without saying anything, I do understand the feelings expressed. Some folks buy certain watches for the wrong reasons. If you're telling me that this person bought the watch after being on the waiting list, decided it was not their cup of tea, or could not afford to keep it, then selling for the same price to recover the funds would be expected. Tacking on an additional 600 pounds, just because they think they can, is bad form, and is usually done by someone who is more interested in flipping for profit than in the watch itself.

Calling someone out in the interest in protecting others from a bad deal is well understood, but anyone looking to buy any new luxury watch should make their first stop at the AD, and then research the desired model, in short, do their homework like all of us do and not just buy something on-line just because they want it "hot and now". The buying public will decide the selling price of that watch, but I do hope the seller gets stuck with that one for a while. Next time, they will think twice about trying to stick it to an on-line community who are supposed to support one another in a common interest.

My .02

Cheers Everyone 8)

Well said and I agree completely - we see it happen here as well where, because of the rarity, we try to add a significant premium during resale. or slapping the EL name on a PAM part and asking a premium - like over $100 for a caseback dry.gif

GIDT.jpg

That's awesome and so very very true!!!

I am still amazed by how the gen forums run for the most part. They are so over inflated and full of them selves (at least a large majority are) that I have no interest at all in browsing them. The posting that was put up last week by By-Tor about the Noob sub on the Rolex Forum was a real eye opener for me. Pretty unbelievable!

I tend to agree with Southcoast. If you decide it's not for you, then sell it for what you paid for it. Otherwise don't even offer it up to your forum friends. There are other places to do that (ie: eBay)