When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Please tell us the quality of your A7750 movement

cougaree

Lately I got an older Breitling Skyland v2 from another member. The chronograph function on its A7750 movement was just butter smooth. I use to think the A7750 movements don't have smooth chronograph function, and it's just one of those things we sacrifice for low cost. But, the quality of my newly acquired Skyland blew me away.

Here is the list of A7750 watches I have and my observations (they all keep very good time), and I'm curious about yours.

1. BCE v2 ................. movement has been serviced, chronograph is generally smooth, but skips once on the large second hand when the minute sub dial hand advances. poor power reserve. When turning the crown to adjust the time, there seems to be a little bit play on the crown.

2. BCE v2 TT .............. movement has been serviced, chronograph is generally smooth, but also skips on the large second hand when the minute sub dial minute hand advances. When turning the crown to adjust the time, there seems to be a little bit play on the crown.

3. Skyland v2 ............. don't know if the movement has been serviced or not, chronograph is very smooth. When turning the crown to adjust the time, there is no play on the crown.

4. Skyland v3 ............. movement has been serviced, chronograph is not so smooth. When turning the crown to adjust the time, there is no play on the crown.

5. SA BS .................. chronograph is not so smooth, but better than skyland v3. When turning the crown to adjust the time, there is no play on the crown.

6. SA v3 .................. unserviced, don't own it no more, the chronograph is smooth. When turning the crown to adjust the time, there is no play on the crown.

7. IWC 3717 ............... unserviced, the large second hand skips in the first 3 seconds, then it runs relatively smooth. The large second hand skips when the minute sub dial hand advances. Often times, pressing on the reset button once does not reset the chronograph.

They seem to be very good and reliable movements. I've owned dozens of A7750 and I only had one problem with a bit lowish power reserve. All others have been excellent.

My oldest A7750-powered watch is now my SMP Chrono. It's 4 years old and functioning perfectly.

All the bad reputation comes from the old low-beat version. It had plenty of issues... reliability wasn't good and the stopwatch had that dreaded "resetting back to zero problem".

I have had 5 7750s and the only one that still runs like a champ is the only low-beat i own (by the way, great power reserve and also accurate... touching wood).

All the others have/had some issue: poor power reserve, inaccuracy, chrono issues.

Unlike By-Tor i have the impression the movement is not very reliable and when i buy a 7750 watch i'm always ready to invest extra money in a service, that's why i'm reluctant to add to my collection new 7750 watches.

Unless i really love some model... i'll stay away.

I hear what you were saying man. I use to think this way until I fell in love with Breitling watches. The economics of watch collecting certainly forbids us from buying too many 7750 movement powered watches. 5 watches with 7750 movement means $1000 for service fees every 5 years (that is if you keep up with your maintenance schedule). However, the problem is even when I send my watches out for service, the large second hand still runs not very smooth on some of them. Now, I have never owned a watch with ETA 7750 running in it, so maybe I should give it a try.

I think replacing the broken movement with a new one might be better and easier solution (if it ever breaks). What do the spare A7750's go for? $150?

Strange that you've had so many problems Ryaku. We don't see much negative reports about the new 7750 here.

I am pleased the a7750 performance of my chronographs, alle eccept one sec at 6 daytona crapped out.

I have standard layout a7750 in the so called rose gold naviatimer from EL (2007), stil runs great.

But they all are unmodified stock sec's @ nine. I dont service them, i replace them like BT suggests. Service locally is practically impossible where i live unless spending 150 usd or more.

I think the risc rises when going to the tri-compax layout and even worse with the seconds hand moved to whatever posistion modification.

If you read through the reviews from Zig and Fransisco you will note the mods sometimes have reasonable good design, but can still be faulty because of bad assembly.

That is the reason why I don't own any Blackbird, B01, Bentley, Omega Speedmaster, Pam chrono and AP ROO.

Although replacing movements may be best solution, it does require a lot more $$. I don't know where I can get a A7750 that's perfectly lubricated and working, if I go with ETA 7750 route, the movement itself will cost of at least $300. Plus, another $100 to put it into the watch, total cost $400. If I buy an used movement for $250, then I will still have to pay another $200 for service. My total cost will be even more.

I don't know where I can get a A7750 that's perfectly lubricated and working

That's the point.

You can easily find a A7750 replacement but what's the point if it gets broken in few weeks.

Moreover unless you can do it by yourself you still have to pay someone to do the job (on 7750s subdial hands are difficult to replace sometimes)with absolutely no guarantee the watch will be running well for at least a couple of years.

Not to mention all other issues related to using the chrono function (slipping hands in primis).

I used to think A7750s were extremely reliable but recent experiences have told me otherwise... its certainly no workhorse compared to the Eta 2836s or 2824s. Ok, so i'm comparing asian to eta BOO! Having found a reliable direct from factory source for ETA 7750s, i've never looked back. If Tissot can put these into their watches with a warranty.. heck, so can I :) I was advised by my trusty watchsmith though to service every A7750 i get b4 wearing it if i intend for it to last... (I dun think he's just out to earn my money LOL) But hey, you dun see people running to svc their gen watches the minute they buy it eh? Food for thought. Heck, its like buying a clone engine for your V8 car and sending it to your mechanic for a tune up :) THen pray it doesn't blow up in ur face. Hope you got ur movement Ryaku

8b21c73e.jpg

My $0.02...for the most part the A7750 are good reliable movements that just lack the refinement found in Swiss movements. The biggest thing I see is a lack of polishing of the bearing surfaces in the gear train. They are polished to a degree, but under a 10X loop you can see machining marks in them often

Do you expect it to be less? It take someone that knows what they are doing about 4 hours to do a full overhaul on a 7750. ..and some times that does not include adjusting the beat or rate. Most of these guys have tens of thousands of dollars tied up in schooling and certification(CW21) alone. Don't forget their equipment.

No, in fact i expect a swish-and-dip at that pricepoint.

My point being; For me, and presumably for more people like me, its cheaper to just replace the whole movement, instead of service it.

True, it's indeed cheaper.

But not necessarily the best solution unless you're very lucky to find a properly serviced and well lubricated A7750 and skilled enough to do the job yourself without ruining anything.

Personally i don't think it's a good idea to replace a A7750 with another one to find out after few months there's some issue again.

I reckon there are no valid shortcuts, just 2 options: replace it with a E7750 or get it serviced.

If it wasn't for poor quality control of the A7750's, I wouldn't have nearly as many watches (I often purchase broken watches and fix them). So, for me, the weaknesses in the A7750's allow me to indulge in my hobby inexpensively.

Most of the issues I've seen are related to poor assembly techniques. For the most part, I'd say that the design is acceptable. They just don't always put them together correctly.

I have around 10 watches with A7750's and they're all running great. Of course I've had to work on most of them to get them to this point (that's part of the fun).

Having said this, I love those darn DG4813's. They don't have chronos, but they're cheap and the ones I have are incredibly accurate.

I feel that the Asian 7750 movenent Is one of the best (if not the best) movements that the Chinesse make. I have nine reps with this movement and only two have been serviced. The other seven are keeeping excellent time. The Asiaan 7750 is a fantastic movement. I use my chronos all the time with out incident. Not as good as a Valjoux but very,very close Imho :drinks: Mike