When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

cheap fix for a puretime 1680 bezel

what2

I picked up a puretime 1680 a while back, messed up the hands.. fixed that, then the crown would not lock in, justasgood fixed that for me. Then we come to the bezel, and the ^*(%(* white plastic ring that holds the bezel on and the crystal too I guess. I could not get it all back together right, justasgood could not do it.. started to look around for something else to use. I planned on setting the crystal with epoxy so I did not have to worry about holding it on.

Came across some tiny rubber bands that my wife uses for my 5 year old daughters hair. The barely fit on my pinky and are about 1mm in size. I put a blue one on first and stuck on the bezel.. and perfect; the bezel fit tight and turned with just the right amount of resistance, unfortunately the crystal had a blue tint from the rubber band. Dug through the big box of rubber bands and saw one that was kind of a faded yellow. Bam that was the ticket, the crystal took on a slightly yellow tone from the rubber band and the bezel works great.

post-21722-095250900 1282627520.jpg

crappy pictures but you get the idea, can hardly notice the bubbles in the dial from my baking it for 45 minutes... I think the insert could use a bit more bleach. I also have a gen crown coming in the next day or two.

My first idea was an o-ring... it was too big. I found that unless the band was very tight against the side of the crystal the bezel would not seat flush against the case.. which was the problem I had with the original white plastic ring to start with.

I used a thin o-ring that fit just snug around the base of the crystal retention ring. Worked PERFECT. The bezel is night and tight now and even harder to pry off than before. I think i might have found a permenant solution. I tried dental floss before but it only worked for a few days. This solution seems much better.

That was the problem with mine.. the bezel would snap on but was way too loose. Now its tight. If you put a little silicone grease on the o-ring before install then it wont dry out. I put a very small amount on mine but i might pop it off and put a little more on to find tune it so it turns with the right amount of tension.

Overall i think this was a great solution! Thanks for the tip what2!!

cheers

dizz

• 1 month later...

When i used the o-ring to tighten my bezel i wasnt using it on one of these puretime cases. I was doing it to simply add resistance to the turning motion. Now i have a PT 1680 and i see what you guys mean by this plastic gasket thing. I snapped on an aftermarket t-19 and its nice and tight. I just need something to hold on the retention ring now. I'll try this method above and see if it works.