When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Cape Cod Cloth - when/when not to use

qwertyfool2010

I have a green crystal milgauss rep which is actually a great daily watch. I have to have the movement serviced about once a year and the band clasp needs a touch up about once a year as well. However - the watch steel - especially the band - is scratched horribly. It looks to be two-tone with semi-brushed links on the outside and non-brushed inside. Can i use a cape cod on the whole watch? Or do I need to be careful not to do this - as the cape cod would try and shine the brushed links.

The Cape Cod cloth is designed to polish steel. If you use it on brushed steel, it will polish the brushed texture off. The best way to polish the center sections is to mask the brushed sections with masking tape (the final result is dependent on how well you perform the masking). I do not believe the Cape Cod cloth is meant for any metal other than (polished) steel.

The rule of thumb for me Is,cape Cod for polished ss and Scotch brite pad for brushed ss. The clasp on my Omega PO was a mess,several deep scratches. I did some research and the Scotch brite pad was suggested for brushed ss. Well It worked very well,the clasp looks new again. Just remember to go In the direction of the grain. Keep the pad a little damp,It's easier to work with when a little wet. :good: