When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My first BK DSSD V5!

collector

It's Here My first rep is a BK DSSD V5!

Friends I have been a a member of the RWG forum for years now watching silently on the sidelines and letting the true experts give their opinions and share their knowledge here on the board, so a few weeks ago I decided that enough is enough and ordered my first Rep, as I waited impatiently like a kid waiting for a new toy it took only 3 days from when I sent BK payment to when I received the box at my door, fully protected in a package BK is a true Gentleman to deal with, he is super responsive to questions and he doesn't play around he is wonderful! upon receiving the watch the first thing that struck me was the feel of quality for this watch, heavy, solid and beautiful! it is my first rep as I have said and I really dont know much about if there is not something accurate with the watch, I would appreciate feedback on the watch, to me it looks right but I am not a rep expert, one thing that I did notice as I do own a Submariner and visiting the Rolex AD periodically is that the glass on BK DSSD Rep has either to much magnification that causes excessive glare or it just has glare, but it so much of it that most angles you can hardly see the face, I dont know if this is the way it should be but when looking at a DSSD at the rolex dealer it wasnt as much as on the Rep, Maybe a Gen Zaphire crystal? or is it just me but I am wrong? feedback would be appreciated, final word is that the watch is solid and paid way less than the $9700 asking price at the dealer.

Collector

post-8797-034284000 1283576948.jpg

post-8797-091194900 1283576959.jpg

post-8797-078837500 1283576971.jpg

post-8797-015279000 1283576979.jpg

the rep DSSD crystal is sapphire, just like the Gen watch. The large, thick dome of the crystal is what causes the distortion at severe angles. As you are probably well aware, Rolex severely limits the use of anti-reflective coatings on it's watches with only a small few having this glare-reducing application. The DSSD (gen or rep) does not have this. Some people here prefer to send theirs to the Chief for his legendary AR.

I have heard in the past that some rep DSSD crystals are domed on not only the top but also the bottom, and that these examples create more distortion than flat-bottomed rep crystals versions. I can't verify that.

I suggest that if you are suspicious, go to the AD and ask to see a gen DSSD at angles .. and you can then determine how far off the mark your crystal is.

As for the glare .. thats a Gen issue as well.

Enjoy your watch; it's a fine example.

As someone above said, the distortion and reflection problem is going to be present with the genuine as well. Rolex doesn't AR coat their crystals, so they all have reflection and glare problems to some extent. I wouldn't worry about the genuine crystal. To begin with, they are going to be very expensive, and hard to get. You can't just walk into a Rolex AD and buy one. Rolex doesn't work like that. Second, I'm not sure a genuine will fit your watch without modification, if at all.

It is a very nice DSSD, I'm sure you will enjoy it as is. If I were going to spend any money on it, I would have the movement serviced, the HEV epoxied closed and sealed, and have the dial indices and hands relumed with better superluminova.

Are you in North America? I can recommend both Vac and TheZigmeister for lume work in that part of the World. They have their own sections on this Forum and are trusted watchsmiths here. You simply email and request a spot on their work schedule.

Look at this. This is not some deceptive 15 second exposure, made to falsely exaggerate weak replica lume. Look at the seconds hand .. this is a ONE second exposure of genuine tritec superluminova on my DSSD. That's what you can expect from these two Forum watchsmiths.

post-22602-013401100 1283667529.jpg

I just got my DSSD back from the Zigmiester. He relumed the dial, hands and pearl, sealed the HE valve and presuure tested for me. Reading the post above I though he was reading my past.

Anyways, the lume is outstanding and I haven't put under water but I am sure for short dunks it will be ok.

I would suggest this treatment to anyone with a good rep to take it to the next level at really minimal expense.

Enjoy....

$390.00 shipped Priority from BK! I tell you my pics dont do this watch justice! it is more than what I expected, it is superb, in my humble opinion I dont justify spending close to 10K even if I had it, this watch is so close it's scary!

Collector

Thanks for your information my friend! I appreciate it!

Wear it well!! :D

• 1 year later...

Zig does pressure testing now? A year ago, his list of available services clearly stated NO testing.

That's good news.

I've tried doing a search for more info on what services Zig provides, but I just find a bunch of posts he's commented on (which are great...in fact I get sidetracked reading them). Is there a better way to search or can you point me in the right direction with a link to a post or something?

Thanks!

The Zigmeister closed his shop to new customers many months ago. He has a 4 week backlog and decided to slow down the incoming watches and emails from prospective clients.

He accepts new clients now only by personal recommendation from an existing client.

The Zigmeister closed his shop to new customers many months ago. He has a 4 week backlog and decided to slow down the incoming watches and emails from prospective clients.

He accepts new clients now only by personal recommendation from an existing client.

Ah, ok. Bummer. I've heard so many good things.

Thanks!