When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Antiques Roadshow

dcrooz

Just watching Antiques Roadshow in the UK. Basically people bring in antiques and they get valued on tv. Well, I was just reading the forum when all of a sudden this guy turns up with a really beat up loking old Radiomir! What a nice surprise!! Beautiful, with original strap on it too. Basically his story was that he bought it from a friend whose father served in WW2. The father killed 2 German navy guys and took the watch (amongst other things) as the traditional war booty. The watch is in great condition, looks like one of our guys has aged it!! I'll think it's a gen, if he was faking it he would be selling it not valuable, and that strap is like nothing I've ever seen on a PAM (or anything else for that matter).

Anyway, the value (based upon verification) was set at £20,000 !!!!!!!

I was at a watch trade fair today and heard a story about a guy who went into an jewellers and bought an old military watch for about £200. It came with an original receipt for a service with the original owners name on it. The name meant nothing to the dealer or purchaser at the time but after doing a little research it turned out to be T.E. Lawrence's psuedonym. So shortly after Lawrence of Arabia's watch was then sold at auction for £52,000 - not a bad return for £200!!!

I was also told of a watch from a charity shop that turned out to be a solid gold Rolex worth considerably more than the £20 paid for it!!

Also a dealer I met had an original 3646 that he sold for £6000 about 10 years ago. Watches24 have just listed one for $70,000 and there was one on the bay for a similar amount just recently.

I heard in the morning that there was going to be an antique expensive watch on there, but had assumed maybe it's one of the DRSDs or something. I woke up around 6pm, saw Songs of Praise was on so didnt bother to watch TV.

Looks like I missed a good 'un. :blink:

So basically, the guy's grandad and uncle shot 2 german divers during the war and stole their watches.

Maybe i should go to one of the paneristi GTG's and shoot everyone! :gun:

Hahahahhahahaha.... Honestly I never laughed that much in front of my laptop screen

:thumbsupsmileyanim:

My Everloving and I were watching the show. "Hey - don't you have one with big numbers like that", she said.

"Like this one?" I asked, showing her my 195.

"No... that one (the one on tv) dosen't have all that high-tech gagetry around the winder. The one on tv is much nicer than yours".

I'm going to take that as permission to purchase a vintage Radiomir :-)

I love television.