When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Speculation on 'old case' 196 A7750 values

Drulee

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm thinking that with the recent discovery that these new 7753 movements appear to have a dw located in the 7750 position, i'm thinking that the old case pieces now have a transplant option with this new movement...

Unfortunately, not quite. The old-school (V1) case built for Asian pseudo-7753 (made by simply transfering the threecompax gears) had a 10 o'clock pusher mounted in the wrong place. It was also non-functional one as well, i.e. it wouldn't function even if you had a quick-set date lever sitting behind it, ETA7753 or A7750.

It is unlikely even with these new modified A7753 that the pusher would be in the right place. However, good modders and watchmakers found their way around this issue, although not as straighforward as it seems.

Zigmaister could add his 2 cents worth to this discussion here, as I believe he has done at least few of these conversions in the past.

cheers,

b

I believe old cases came in two forms although I have no idea what version it was - one with the button in the right place. And I can tell you from experience that I bought 2 A7750 cases a few years ago with working buttons (used them on my 7753 Pandas which had the crappier 2nd gen cases at the time). The button was frozen on those only due to the movement ring not having been drilled out. Ziggy actually did them for me.

I'm looking for some input on what you guys think the old case style A7750 196 (better dial) would be worth now...

not sure this was ever answered...i, too, have a similar a7750 196 (better dial with flush subdials), good datefont, recessed dw - but not too bad, serviced movement, etc...

don't wear it much as i'm currently hooked on manual winds...

@babola and watchmesiter --> is it the bezel that defines the "better case" in these pix or the combo of the dial/bezel/case?...i undertand, now, that the high bezel is more accurate...but, i am still trying to understand the lug shape and/or case diferences of the "best case (EL or whatever)" versus the "a7750 cartel case" versus the "gen case"...

@Chronlv - case profile pix would be great...

@babola and watchmesiter --> is it the bezel that defines the "better case" in these pix or the combo of the dial/bezel/case?...i undertand, now, that the high bezel is more accurate...but, i am still trying to understand the lug shape and/or case diferences of the "best case (EL or whatever)" versus the "a7750 cartel case" versus the "gen case"...

Here's a photo that shows both V1 and V2 Daylight chrono cases. The V1 was known as 'EL ultimate', the V2 as 'standard' cartel. IMO, calling a V1 "EL" is incorrect since not only Eddie Lee had it on offer but also the cartel guys like Josh, Andrew and Angus at the time, as well as Honpo, a dealer from Japan.

PAM196 V1 on the left and right, V2 in the middle. Check the bezel width and angle between the two.

Also the "V2" came with thicker numerals and recessed chrono subdials. PAM196 gen dial is flat, so that is incorrect.

untitled11.jpg

Hope this helps a little.

cheers!

Wow, the bezel on the case in the middle is much wider. I assume it is also has a lower profile.

Thanks for all the comments. Still not sure what it's worth though :) I suppose if the new 196 case turns out to be as good, I can always switch the CGs and put my old one up for sale as a nice 'beginner' 196 :D

Wow, the bezel on the case in the middle is much wider. I assume it is also has a lower profile.

Thanks for all the comments. Still not sure what it's worth though :) I suppose if the new 196 case turns out to be as good, I can always switch the CGs and put my old one up for sale as a nice 'beginner' 196 :D

Yup, the bezel had a slightly lover profile as well, it makes me think the xtal could have been also a bit thinner on V2 to compensate for the lower bezel.

Basically it was a poor cousin to V1, not even close. The sub dials are also wrong size on V2.

But in general the differences between the V1 and V2 Daylights are sometimes hard to confirm and quantify until you see them side by side :)

Aren't the posts on the 7753 spaced differently than those on the 7750?

I ask because I just loaded a pic of a 196 A7750 dial, then placed a dot on the centre seconds post, one on the post at 3, and another on the post at 9. I then resized another members 236 A7753 dial pic to the same as the 196 I used, and loaded it. Funny thing is, the dots from the A7750 overlayed its (the A7753 dial) posts perfectly ??? I may have just resized it a bit too large, or something like that, as I just did it half-arsed, but .....

Hope this helps a little.

cheers!

thanks, D!...very helpful...

if you don't mind and have the time, can you stack them and/or put them side-by-side so we can see the lug shapes and the profiles of the v1 and v2...

from what i know, the v1 has squatter lugs than the v2 - but the pix will show that...not sure what the lugs are like on the gen...is the v1 or v2 lugs closer to gen?

lastly will the v2 it take a 7753 movement - assuming the ring is drilled for the pusher...i know the v1 takes a 7753 with the ring drilled...both needing pusher pins inserted into the ring, of course...

thanks...R :drinks:

thanks, D!...very helpful...

if you don't mind and have the time, can you stack them and/or put them side-by-side so we can see the lug shapes and the profiles of the v1 and v2...

from what i know, the v1 has squatter lugs than the v2 - but the pix will show that...not sure what the lugs are like on the gen...is the v1 or v2 lugs closer to gen?

lastly will the v2 it take a 7753 movement - assuming the ring is drilled for the pusher...i know the v1 takes a 7753 with the ring drilled...both needing pusher pins inserted into the ring, of course...

thanks...R :drinks:

I only have V1 with ETA7753 left now, as my PA196. That one comes with close to perfect lugs, check the photos Kruzer posted previously in this thread on page 1. He showed 188 and 196 reps with V1 cases, both with ETA7753. My 196 is the same model.

The V2 will not take gen ETA7753 without case mods, including the pusher. Would you mind me asking why would you even think about that...considering a close to 'perfect' cases are now being produced that come with these latest A7753 188/196 Daylights?

The V2 case isn't good at all mate, it may be functional as part of a watch but it's far from being a close 188/196 replication.

cheers!

thanks...will do...

i am asking about the v2 taking a 7753 because i am curious...

a lot to understand with all these versions...

oh, and i have an old case with the pusher in the wrong position...the case/bezel is really nice; close, if not same, to v1...

R-

Aren't the posts on the 7753 spaced differently than those on the 7750?

I don't think so - if I remember correctly, I was able to put 7750 196 dial on 7753 movement without any problem, only thing not aligning was date window. Also, based on ETA technical documentation train bridge part is shared between 7750 and 7753 movements, meaning running seconds has same position on these two movements for sure.

regards

I don't think so - if I remember correctly, I was able to put 7750 196 dial on 7753 movement without any problem, only thing not aligning was date window. Also, based on ETA technical documentation train bridge part is shared between 7750 and 7753 movements, meaning running seconds has same position on these two movements for sure.

regards

So if these use the A7750 date wheels, then the window position would be the same as our current dials, no?

So if these use the A7750 date wheels, then the window position would be the same as our current dials, no?

Doc...if i follow you, i'm hoping for the same...that this new movement could be dropped in to our old skool a7750 196s...date wheel should align, etc...however, we need specs to know if the stem/tube/crown will align...

• 2 weeks later...

@chronoluvvv --> did you add a diff crown to yours or did it come that way?...it's definitely not the same as the original...yours is nice and thick...

anyone know the thickness of the gen crown?...and/or which aftermarket crown is best fit for the v1?