When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Speculation on 'old case' 196 A7750 values

Drulee

I'm looking for some input on what you guys think the old case style A7750 196 (better dial) would be worth now, if anything :D since there is supposed to be an A7753 version in the pipelines (but hasn't yet materialized).

I was going to put one up for sale, but procrastination got the better of me and ..... well you know what happened :D

So now I'm debating whether it is even worth it to put it up, or maybe I should just keep and use the movement as a backup, and maybe down the line stick in an A7753 with dial (I'm sure they'll eventually start showing up separately for sale).

Your thoughts ....

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so far absolutely useless and silly remarks. Anyone out there have anything relevant to say. :rolleyes:

As for the $1 and $1.25 comments, if either of you have any of these lying around I'll give $10 each for them, that's a 1000% markup guys, so jump on it. Seriously guys, what a bunch of silly posts, reminds of people who just post to increase their count. I mean if you attempted to use your Grey matter, parts alone would probably get a couple of hundred dollars. ChiMan, my apologies to you if your post was meant to put across that you'd pay more than what the first poster said :)

Ok - here is some useful feedback. The old case has pros and cons. As does this new case:

Old Case:

1. Not 1:1 replication - but from a visual perspective - very good to the point of this being a non-issue

2. The bezel had engraving which was too close to the edge. New case hsa the right printing. However, I am not sure who would notice this - as it is pretty close

3. The CG was actually very very good. It was flush to the case. With the glue gun mod, the lever action could be made to be near gen.

4. The fit of the 7753 in the case - while doeable - the case did not really accomodate this movement. In order to fit - heavy mods which produce a strain on the stem. However, it does work.

New case:

1. Nearly perfect from what I can see from the QC images that have been posted. (though issue with CG which is below)

2. CG is not perfect by any stretch. The lever is not flush to the CG, the CG is not flush to the case (is this the case or the CG which is wrong?). In my mind this is a big giveaway. The lever probably can be modded to fit better. The case flushness - only by the most talented.

3. Case was made for a 7753. So, this is better from a longevity.

So - long and short - for a 196 - i believe the old case will continue to be the winner. The new case, unless they make non-updated cases especially for the 196 (lugs, CG shape, etc) will be incorrect.

Of course - this remains to be seen as the new 196 has not launched.

I have this believe that for those who must have a 196 - the old case will be highly sought. Just not right now - it could immediately become obsolete when the new one comes out.

Agree - 196 with Quick Release - now there is a giveaway. So you would have to go all the way back to the "old" cases. As, the "new old" cases which were made for the 7753 where just plain wrong.

They aren't wrong. The new A7753 powered 188 comes with the correct case including the lugs with screws.

What is 'wrong' is the lever with a roller on a PAM188. Easy to swap with the old one, if that bothers you B)

PAM-2010-09-13-01-07_2_enl.JPG

Babola,

By "new old" I don"t mean this latest production. To my knowledge, there have been 3 distinct cases made for the Daylights:

The "old case" (often referred to as EL case)

The "new case" (short bezel)

This latest case (latest 1:1 from Cartel)

My point was that the "new case" (the one more broadly available over the last year or two) -- was the worst of the bunch.

Well here are some pics of mine for discussion comparing a gen with a couple of the old case Daylights. The gen is a 262 but the case is the same profile on the earlier 196's.

DSC_0002-1.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg

DSC_0023.jpg

These are great pictures.

I have two of the old case Daylights, modded to gen 7753s. I won't be giving them up anytime soon.

Babola,

By "new old" I don"t mean this latest production. To my knowledge, there have been 3 distinct cases made for the Daylights:

My point was that the "new case" (the one more broadly available over the last year or two) -- was the worst of the bunch.

We used to refer to the old cases simply as V1 and V2. That's where the root of confusion was.

cheers,

b

... maybe down the line stick in an A7753 with dial (I'm sure they'll eventually start showing up separately for sale).

Your thoughts ....

Good thinking, IMO.

The old-school V1 196 case should be just as good or even better than the new incoming 188/199 H-series ones. But make sure you have the one built for ETA7753 mov't. The rumor was back then the old good case was made from a gen, and if the claims about this latest ones are true, they should be the basically the "same".

I'm just not sure about the '316F vs 316L' steel grade and how much that actually matters.

...pretty sure the old case was made from 316L as the majority of the Pam reps in the past were :g:

cheers,

b

My 196 is long gone but I still have the 262, 188, a custom Panda and a spare case. If I wasn't long so many Swiss versions of this I would snap up that 236 in a second just to see how good it its. Kudos to Josh et al. They have definitely injected some new life into PAM's.

Well here are some pics of mine for discussion comparing a gen with a couple of the old case Daylights. The gen is a 262 but the case is the same profile on the earlier 196's.

162 my friend, you have a 162 :)

Quote:

and they also made some old case EL styled cases with a HIGH bezel but incorrect date change pusher location.. too low for a Swiss 7753 conversion (i got stuck with one of those cases :-( )

Edited by Defender110

and they also made some old case EL styled cases with a HIGH bezel but incorrect date change pusher location.. too low for a Swiss 7753 conversion (i got stuck with one of those cases :-( )

True. And to add to the confusion, the old-case that used to house A7750 had a non-functional date pusher on the case, even if you slotted ETA7753 with quick-set feature at 10 o'clock it wouldn't work, as the pusher wasn't design to work with the gen mov't.

i'm thinking that with the recent discovery that these new 7753 movements appear to have a dw located in the 7750 position, i'm thinking that the old case pieces now have a transplant option with this new movement...the old 196, for example, have a really nice dial...and now you could close the 7750 gap on these old case pieces with this new movement...if so, then this is a nice surprise, don't ya think?...

PaulVanDyk's gen&new7753 compare post