When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Deconstructing the Josh 1655...

chiman12

Okay...let's focus on the gen 1675 should be thinner than a modern day sub argument...

Based on my digital calipers total thickness, including case back and crystal...

My gen 16610 13.1mm

my rep 1675 converted from a rep 1:1 1655 is 13.13mm (with modifed flat case back)

According to the Japanese Rolex encylopedia...

The 1675 thickness ranges from 12-13mm

1655 thicnkess ranges from 13mm to 13.5mm

16610 gen thickness ranges from 12.5mm to 13.mm

So the 1655 rep thickness is consistent and within the 1675 gen thickness. Take into consideration that I flattened out the rep 1655 case back to make it look like a 1675 case back, so you will lose about .5mm

What does this mean...we are all barking up the wrong tree...

The 1675 has the SAME thickness as a modern day sub and the assumption that a GMT should be consistently thinner than a modern day sub is incorrect...

I may be wrong, but I think the contention is that the mid-case is thinner on the older GMT, not the entire caseback to crystal measurement. I thought, ever since reading freddy's comparison back on his phase one, that the mid-case was what we were talking about when discussing the thinner case.

Guest zeleni kukuruz

Yes Joey your right. Just measure the mid-case. Do a measurement on the caseback + mid-case is wrong!!!

Chi, measure your mid-case NOTHING more.

does is really matter ? ;)

how would you measure the middle case ? the thickness of the lugs ? you would need a NOS gen case to compare.

and there are too many variants over the year to cover them all.

the Josh case is good enough - at least for me.

i don't see the problem in the case thickness - i see the problems in the CG area.

cheers,

Frank

Continuing on with the GMT versus submariner thickness debate...

Guys...what I'm trying to point out is that a gen 1675 (which I don't have a gen to compare to) is the same thickness (if not thicker) as a modern day sub and a little thicker due to the thickness of the movement. This means that the the overall case is thicker to accomodate the thicker gen GMT movement. Assuming that the case backs are pretty much dished the same to accommodate the rotor depth, then the mid-case would have to be a bit thicker to accomodate the slight thickness differential.

Now comparing this to the 16750 and the 16570...the Japanese Rolex encyclopedia stats indicate that the thickness are on the average of 12mm. So it would only make sense that the 1675 mid-case is thicker than the 16750/16570, which confirms RA pic of his comparo to a gen 16570

From Rolex spec sheets...1575 (GMT) thickness= 6.47mm, 3035=6.35mm.

BTW...The thickness of a mid-case 16610 about 4.7mm...my REP 1655 mid-case is 4.83mm...so consistent from MY point of view, because I don't have a gen 1675 to compare.

In summary and according to what I have in front of me, the 1675 mid-case should technically be as thick if not thicker than any modern day sub and also any successor of the 1675 (except possibly 16760).

z....once again...there is no concrete evidence provided...and all there is heresay...I'm sick of discussing this too... once I buy a gen 1675 (which might be forever, because I am broke!)...we'll reconvene this discussion...or maybe not...over and out

wait till monday, I will have a gen 16750 and measure with my palmer the case thickness and show you the difference between a gen 16750 case, which is the same case as the 1675 and the same case as the 1655 -talking gen stuff-

Just to show the rep case tickness difference I have actually a Josh 1655 (1/1...) case stripped and ready for machining for a member,

Also a big article in in progress, unfortunately, I do a lot of things at the same time and I am very busy right now

In fact, I don't know why I insist, anyway the gen 1655/1675/16750 use the same case, any years of production, cases are slim, and the 1655 "1/1" is very far from the real stuff. Period. -for me- :)

Edited by Rolexaddict

Thinking about buying the Asian 2813 movement 1655 from Andrew, think it is the same watch as "Josh 1655". Just got into Vintage Rolex with a DRSD and looking to expand collection. Should I pay the difference for the Swiss ETA 2836? Your thoughts appreciated.