When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Deconstructing the Josh 1655...

chiman12

The truth is that in Rolex history there has been a THIN cased and a..lack of a better term...regular cased 1675.

I have posted the measurement of a mid-case of a gen 16610...so someone needs to measure a thin and regular mid-case of a 1675 and that is a direct comparison. I AM not hypothisizing that the gen 1655 case (or any other case) is thinner than a 1675 case.

My position all along is that the 1675 case is NOT that MUCH more thinner than a modern day sub case as some has claimed in this thread that it is so. FWIW have a gander at link below, great comparison across the board of the sports brands with measurements

http://www.watch-pop.com/rolex-vintage/rolex-vintage-11991.html

The content of the link also indicates that the 1675 came in two different thickness, so not ALL 1675's are built the same (as it has been indicated)...more interesting have a gander at the 16610 thickness...pretty much the same overall thickness of the thin cased 1675.

Why is the overall thickness important also? I hypothesize that because the mid-case thickness would make up about 35-40% of the overall thickness, while the case back and crystal thickness would make up the rest. With the 7mm crown tube being 3mm and the 5.3mm crown tube being 2.5mm...the minimum thickness difference between the two would be 0.5 mm or close to it to support the mid-case walls around the tube.

So...can some take a set of calipers to a gen thin and thick 1675 mid-case already??? This will solve my curiousity...

• 5 months later...

I noticed the "Explorer II" font is off on the Josh 1655 A21j. Will the gen 1655 dial fit the case and movement?

Where can I buy the silver DW for the A21j?

Thanks!

Ask FXRAndy on the crew, not sure if his custom silver date wheel will fit the Asian movement but its worth the question

This is an awesome write up Chiman. I got lucky with a 448 Josh case that was already aged(have to polish and refinish it but has potential) and the write up for the 3846 to GMT conversion is my inspiration.

I think I will keep it as a 1655 though.

So who really has the right date wheels available?

E

• 2 months later...
The A21j on mine is not very good. It's running too fast (~1 min gain/day) and the DW won't do full changeover from time to time. Is there any better movement that will fit if I want to keep the existing hands? Thanks!

The 1655 cartel comes with a DG2813 movement. I'm not certain, but I think they convert it ti GMT. The DG3804B is designed to be GMT and is a very good movement, IMO. You can get them brand new and clean from most of the known parts suppliers like Otto Frei, Jules Borel, Cousins. etc. for under $25usd. They take the same hands and have the same dial feet location, so it's a direct swap.