When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New 7753

pismo

When I had a gen Navitimer with cal.23 (7753) - it never had a quickset date.

So the only way to change the date was to keep advancing the hours.

I don't think that you could rock the hour hand between midnight to quickset the date either. I'm quite certain that i already tried that.

The other gripe was that, if the actual date was 25th for example, and the watch was showing 23rd, you could not rewind the hours to go backwards in date - i had to keep turning the crown forwards for up to 5 mins to arrive at the correct date.

As you can imagine, this pi$$ed me off no end, so i sold it.

Something that I found online...

I got an email once asking me if the Breitling Caliber 23 had a quickset date, and I replied that it did not. And, it doesn

It would be good if someone with a 7753 could actually try that trick.

My friend has an Oris with a 7753, which also has the hidden date pusher. If I can contact him, I'll ask him to try that trick.

Either way, the a7753 does seems strange with the smaller diameter DW. Surely it would interfere with the hand post at 3, if indeed the hand post was in the correct position.

7753.jpg

Given all the information and misconceptions that we have uncovered here, I've been able to better inform Josh on the subject. He, like myself, believed the gen Navi date set could be activated by running back and forth over 12:00. As that information is not entirely correct, it seems that there may not be any issues with re-replicating this piece. He is going to discuss it with the maker. At least thats a step in the right direction! Thanks everyone.

Jeez Andreww! You must have some serious powers of persuasion! Or a gold pocketwatch swinging from side-to-side...

Whatever the mystery with the a7753 - I hope that whatever comes of it, we will accept it for what it is - a rep movt in a rep watch. Just to reliably correct the sunken dw and font style is enough for me.

I've given up with making rep frankens, its too expensive a hobby in these hard times.

Jeez Andreww! You must have some serious powers of persuasion! Or a gold pocketwatch swinging from side-to-side...

Whatever the mystery with the a7753 - I hope that whatever comes of it, we will accept it for what it is - a rep movt in a rep watch. Just to reliably correct the sunken dw and font style is enough for me.

I've given up with making rep frankens, its too expensive a hobby in these hard times.

Hey I hear ya. I've always said that the 1st generation tricompax is a very good rep. Of course the datefont and recessed window has always been the biggest stumbling block. Fixing those issues and adding decent AR to the glass would be a huge improvement. If they could fix the caseback, that would be gravy!

...If they could fix the caseback, that would be gravy!

Now now. Let's not get carried away! :rofl:

But seriously, the caseback etc should not be difficult to fix. They managed to get the Skyland, Super Avenger, Steelfish....all to a very good standard. Leaving the iconic Navi in it's current half-finished format would be

so disappointing: given the "new" movement.

All the Makers need is a genuine piece to do their stripdown and reverse engineering. Not forgetting tooling-up etc. Relatively small outlay for large returns, over a long period.

Be interesting to know how many Navi reps have been sold since the 1st gen 7750s came out. (with matte dials and correct slide rule).

I also noticed that the silvery-white paint used on the slide rule was better on the 1st gen, than on the "2nd gen" with hi-beat 7750, which was too dull and creamy.....

The sliderule on the 1st gen is also on the creamy side when compared to the gen. When you see the gen in good light, the insert almost looks like it could be made of aluminum. The other thing you notice is that the white text on the dial is actually silver on the gen. Minor things, but very noticeable when viewed side by side. It was a great back then, but if you look closely, there are a lot of little things that aren't quite right. The factories have come a long way in the six years since its release, I'd love to see what they could do with it!

It would be good if someone with a 7753 could actually try that trick.

My friend has an Oris with a 7753, which also has the hidden date pusher. If I can contact him, I'll ask him to try that trick.

Either way, the a7753 does seems strange with the smaller diameter DW. Surely it would interfere with the hand post at 3, if indeed the hand post was in the correct position.

7753.jpg

Does not work running that hands over back and forth over 12am. My SOHLE has stopped on me twice due to my winder batteries being dead...everytime I have had to spend 5 minutes winding the hands between 8pm and 12am to make the date correct. :thumbdown:

• 3 months later...
Guest Daytona1984

That the 7753 in gen Navitimers is modified simply is not true.

On a gen Navitimer you have to change the date by running the time through several days until you reach the current date, so no quick set.

that is 100% correct. i just played with the a23322 at a local AD to figure out if i could use a swiss 7753 as is for my navi project... and indeed, you have to set the date as chefcook already mentioned...

Edited by Daytona1984

that is 100% correct. i just played with the a23322 at a local AD to figure out if i could use a swiss 7753 as is for my navi project... and indeed, you have to set the date as chefcook already mentioned...

Not entirely true either... While you can not set the date buy running the hands back and forth over 12am, you can in fact change the date buy running the hands past 12am then back to 8pm or so, then back to 12am…this is enough to re-engage the spring on the date change wheel to the date wheel. All most Gen B's with 7753's work this way. Not very fast but much faster then having to cycle the hands through 24 hours.