When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Building 4th gen PO from scratch

ianGP

Ok...so, I've just about finished my UPO project but after a couple months of it on my wrist, I felt wears better on a rubber strap because it's so big.

I really want to build a 42mm PO on ss but as we all know, noone makes it anymore and the rumors of some sort of 5th gen has vanished behind the ploprof craze.

What's to stop me from buying narikaa's or fakemaster's PO and then putting a 2824 on it, of course along with gen dial/hands, etc.

Fitment issues with the movement and the case originally with 21j ?

I'm thinking I just need the movement holder altered abit.....

experts, please school me!

yeah, I figured I would just have to live with that HE valve position.... well the reason it's not accepting gen parts is because of the 21j movement... if I were to stick a 2824 on there, it'd be golden!

I'm wondering if someone's done that or off the top of their head knows it does/does not fit because of xxxxxxx

hmmmm... :(

Ziggy mentioned in another thread recently, that the common 2813/4813 A21j is based on Miyota movments, like the Clone ETAs are based on 2824, etc ...

So if you wanted to replace the POrikaa's engine with something more reliable, you'd go with the actual Japanese Miyota equivalent it mimics.

The incorrect He on all of the readily available 42mm variety, dampers the effort. Most frankens are based on a good case with correct proportions.

I'm so surprised there is no 42mm PO action. My POrikka has proven that such a watch would be a mainstay in my watchbox, if only there were a better version.

A used gen doesn't seem completely out of my future somewhere. Omega NAILED it with the 42mm PO.

• 2 weeks later...

i'm not sure what all the fuss is about... i scored a 5th gen just a couple months back... and it was mint!

The 4th gen 42mm Planet Ocean can accept genuine parts from Omega, which are very easy to buy online. The other 42mm POs out there are not designed to accept gen parts.

Out of curiousity, please define your 5th gen PO. What sort of qualities would it have that makes this a 5th gen?

I'm assuming it's just your standard 21j PO... The 4th gen has only been able to be acquired pre-loved for quite some time now and only god knows when they'll start working on that 5th gen and have it released

If it is in fact 'THE' 5th gen, please tell me where you got it!! I'd rather skip most of the hard work and trial/error working with what's currently available in the market.

(and I just pulled the trigger on 2 sub-c's w/ a2836's :thumbsupsmileyanim: )

Edited by ianGP