When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintage Submariner

DaMan

Hi,

what do you think about this vintage models from trusty-times? Maybe anyone has already ordered one?

I like it very much but I am not sure what model is close to the original and if the plexi front glass is of good quality. I had one watch with plexi glass years before and the glass gets milky (right word?) ;)

And it looks like the lume point at 12 is not really in the middle of the printing?

The first pic is a model with Swiss Eta and the second a low pice model with an asian movement.

post-10819-042855300 1285059623.png

post-10819-017902400 1285059642.png

How accurate? It depends on how much you know about vintage Rolex & how critical the viewer is.

The problem with rare, vintage Rolex watches is that relatively few people today know anything about them (beyond being a Rolex, because the name is stamped on the dial). Those who do know anything about the 5517 military Sub will likely also know what the real thing looks like & none of the vintage Rolex rep offerings (including this 5517) from any seller will fool these types of people.

That said, the watch pictured does get the basic idea correct. If you reshape the crown guards (CGs), replace the crown/tube, hands, dial, bracelet & bezel insert with gens (or search out more accurate aftermarket parts), you could put together a watch that would fool all but the most knowledgeable collector.

Welcome to the wonderful world of vintage Rolex. :drinks: