When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Any suggestions on Breitling Bentley Flying B ?

cougaree

Even tho it has the problems you listed, as long as you like it, that is what matters most. $80 vs $550 is quite a difference. People who are not Breitling nuts won't know to look for any of the problems.

Hmmm.

Maybe so.

But sorry to be negative about the bargains. From the pictures here I must say that you the expensive one looks fantastic, and the cheap ones do not.

A watch does not look expensive to most people unless it is really beautifully made. When it is, it looks expensive even if it says Casio. It is primarily the watch you should look at, not the brand.

Sometimes you can get cheap things too cheap. From the pictures here this may be one example.

Just a shame that the expensive one may just be too expensive as it is.

I have had the two watches (original and mine) next to each other and mine looks fine but there is just something about the original's level of finish (of course!) that is what I call "just another thing" meaning there's nice .... really nice ann just another thing altogether..... my main reason for buying the cheaper rep was because I thought it would be quartz and smaller than the original .... now that I have tried on the original and am happy with how it looks, I will but the more expensive rep. I am just trying to find it for under $400 because if the markups for watches is anything like the markup for rep MB pens, then there is a LOT of profit in there for the sellers and someone always seems to have something cheaper .... having said that, I did get an unexpected payment this week so will probably just buy it now.

You're spot on about buy the watch not the brand ..... in fact, you can buy most high-end reps with different logos on them for a LOT less than their branded counterparts. I just can't bring myself to do that, but I have seen some really beautiful watches in my searching that as far as I can find, have no corresponding model as originals. Of course, we have all also seen some bloody eyesores as well!

FWIW (about .05c?) I get very positive comments about this cheapie .... my poor photography may contribute to the cheap look of the watch here as well.

Edited by seriph

Hmmm.

Maybe so.

But sorry to be negative about the bargains. From the pictures here I must say that you the expensive one looks fantastic, and the cheap ones do not.

But he is not trying to impress you. He is trying to please himself.

If he has done this, then he has saved almost 500 dollars.

There are many people who are perfectly content to shop at WBK and WatchEden for the low-end reps.

But he is not trying to impress you. He is trying to please himself.

If he has done this, then he has saved almost 500 dollars.

There are many people who are perfectly content to shop at WBK and WatchEden for the low-end reps.

In that case, all is good and well. I do the same.

What made me respond was this comment: People who are not Breitling nuts won't know to look for any of the problems.

To me that sounded like a reference to other people than himself.

I am however pleased that it looks good enough to get positive responses.

+1! Dave123 - I just bought a Breitling box complete with everything (except a metal "R" on the box which the eBay seller did NOT mention!!!) including all papers and so forth .... it isn't a B4B box but it is still a nice example .... some damage on the chrome edges, but I got some chrome signwriter's film from a mate today and will be doing a surgical repair on the outer cover..... it is a very nicely designed box and quite a rare version, which I will explain in a moment....

As I type this I can't help wondering if this box etc. might be better suited for another member - I know myself well enough that if the "correct" B4B Flying B No.1 box came along I'd buy it (Don't even know what one looks like yet!)

The box I received was not the one displayed on the guy's page and while that and its overall condition was a disappointment, it is for what I believe to be a more difficult to obtain watch.... (races down the back of the house to get the paperwork)

OK ... it is a box and all associated's for a Breitling Navitimer - Chronograph - BREITLING FIGHTERS - Special Series. I don't pretend to know if that is vastly different than the other Breitling offerings, but it includes an illustrated booklet about the watch and certain WW2 aircraft, (the following is housed in a lovely yellow card package) an operation manual, a booklet dedicated to the use of the slide rule, a circular slide rule, list of Authorised Distributors, INt'l Wty booklet and an embossed, perforated, numbered and signed certificate. Finally, it has a leaflet about he Bakelite case and wait for it ...... the original purchase receipts for the actual watch and a spare link.

The watch box itself is stunning black and has a tan leather insert bearing the Breitling name and logo inside the lid .... I imagine that's standard.

Anyway to get back to the damn point, I am buying a BLUE Flying B No.1 and hope to keep it in the correct box, but this would do uber-nicely I reckon, unless as stated, a fellow member had the special edition watch to match it .... (or should I buy one of those as well.....?????)

:D

• 3 months later...

good thing that Kasi mentioned he had issues with the bracelet. I am not too fond of mine either. The factories used whatever they had left from the other Bentleys in stock so the end links are always rubbing against the case and getting scratched up

personally i have no idea if the gen is silver or off-white because i have yet to see one for real. But from the silver engravings on the dial it seems out of place to have silver surrounding them as well

How do you remove the bracelet? Mine is so tight it will not come off so I can use a leather strap. Even my watch repair man is having problems and suggested leaving the watch with him so he can try it again. I have gone to 3 jewelry stores too - no luck.