When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pam 192 Oxidized And Brush On Ti And Ss Bracelet

supermanx

To get a consistent color, a chemical prep is probably needed. An acid treament should be used to remove all oils from manufacture and human oils as well. Don't know what kind of acid to use but you might try acetic acid. Maybe an ammonia bath then acetic acid to dissolve everything and get down to base metal so the chemical reaction starts every where at the same time. Chemical preps are used before plating too.

I have done this with gun blue chemicals on steel. The metal needed to be preped first then warm solution used to turn the steel gun metal blue.

Nice project. I like the results.

Usil

Saw original post - still not brave enough to try this with my beloved (and discontinued) 192. Is it the photos or has your bezel turned brushed from shiney?

I brushed all the ss, because I like the look better, gen is brushed tantilium (ti on rep) and polish tantilium (ss on rep). oxydized and brushed give it a more consistant appearance in my opinion. I havent even been able to find a decent picture of a 192 gen anywhere but the panerai website and panaristi reference, and both leave some question as to the "actual" appearance.

Usil i did a full clean with dishsoap and a toothbrush before dipping using gloves after washing, was worried about oils from my fingers inhibiting the oxi. Acid would probably work better but too daring for my blood. An hour in the oxyclean will not harm the ss, but I recommend disassembling the links because the oxy can't get into the crevises as easily and your bracelet will be very dry and stiff with dried oxy in every crack. It would be very difficult to clean all the oxy out without breaking down everything. And if I decide I dont like it or would be better for resale back to original you can polish the oxidation away with a cape cod.

Very nice results! :)

Tell us how you got this results?

I used oxyclean, boiled water put the oxyclean in slowly (to fast and the reaction will quickly overflow your pan)... Had to completely disassemble the watch and band. Made sure to remove the tachymeter ring its sticky taped on. Then throw the parts in the bath and let it continue to boil stirring ever 5-10 minutes. I checked the pieces after every 30 minutes to ensure they were consistant color. After the first 30 minutes it was a bail hay color, after another 30 i started getting a blued dark grey. I didn't like the bail color so I dipped it longer. The blued color is not consistant but with a touch of 3 in 1 oil it turns the ti a perfect consistant dark grey with just a hint of blue if you look at certain angles in certain light. I have one original link i'll see if I can take a comparision shot. The differance is huge though, before the ti was barely destinguishable from brushed ss in appearance.

Basically i stole the instructions from others here and on the dark side, i am not the original.