When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Differences in Movements

dawgmatic91

Is there a huge difference (other than price) between say an Asian 2813-2 and a Swiss 2836-2 movem't? Is the Asian 2813-2 considered a type of Asian 21j movem't? I've read that the 21j is fairly reliable. I have yachtmaster with a 2813-2 and it seems pretty jumpy. I've stared at it so much til its making me wonder if I should upgrade to a Swiss movem't.

The A 21 can be a reliable movement but the ETA, clones or swiss are far more repairable an serviceable and have a better sweep on the seconds hand, also the available upgrades like hands you may want to do are easyer with ETA hand sizes

• 4 weeks later...

Since posting this I was fortunate to buy a BK/WM9 from a member. Absolutely stunning watch. It has a few scratches that I have buffed out, but I'm concerned about the winding. First off when I unscrew the crown, I don't feel any gearing when I try to wind it. When I pull the crown to the date position, the date wheel doesn't advance. When I move it to the last position I am able to set the time and forward the date by winding 24hrs. I hope this can easily be fixed. Any advice would be appreciated. :whistling:

Since posting this I was fortunate to buy a BK/WM9 from a member. Absolutely stunning watch. It has a few scratches that I have buffed out, but I'm concerned about the winding. First off when I unscrew the crown, I don't feel any gearing when I try to wind it. When I pull the crown to the date position, the date wheel doesn't advance. When I move it to the last position I am able to set the time and forward the date by winding 24hrs. I hope this can easily be fixed. Any advice would be appreciated. :whistling:

Swiss ETA movements are smooth as hot butter when you wind them. That's why you don't feel any gears. Precision machinery.

Time to have a watchmaker look at the movement.

Swiss ETA movements are smooth as hot butter when you wind them. That's why you don't feel any gears. Precision machinery.

You should still hear a winding noise and feels ome resistance. I'm wearing a Sub with an ETA in it right now (I know it's gen, because I pulled the movement out of another Swiss watch personally) and it is smoother than my watches with ETA clones but still definitely makes a noise when winding.

It sounds like it can easily be fixed... if you have spare parts lying around and are willing to pull the dial and hands.

If I had to guess I'd guess that the setting lever spring has broken off of the set bridge, which is fairly common if you pull on the crown too hard.